Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3-way studio monitor design
3-way studio monitor design
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2019, 01:20 PM   #21
enricofiocco is offline enricofiocco  France
diyAudio Member

what was your xover point/slope?
Old 15th February 2019, 01:25 PM   #22
ILikeFoodz is offline ILikeFoodz  United States
diyAudio Member

I used the sb15nac30-8 in a ported 2 way design crossed 3rd order at ~2 kHz with SB26STAC and it sounds excellent. In a lot of ways I like it more than my Paradigm Prestige 85Fs. Not that it matters so much for your application, but the SB midwoofer digs deep - f3 in the upper 30s for my design, just maxes out due to xmax around 94 dB, but if you cross it around 200-250 Hz, that will not be an issue. Definitely recommend it as a midrange.
Old 15th February 2019, 01:26 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendormania View Post
Obviously its impossible to measure everything that counts.

Sorry but I don't agree with that...

I would say that measures in that range of freq require anechoic chamber or at least a well trated room.
Old 15th February 2019, 01:29 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ilikefoodz, yes SB15NBAC seems the winner in this price range for this kind of application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post

You can see measurements for a lot of these drivers here...

SB Acoustics SB15NBAC30-4 | HiFiCompass

with the SB15 alu cone in the link provided.
Old 15th February 2019, 01:32 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricofiocco View Post
But both MCA15 and SB15 are less flat than SS W15 in the freq range I'd like to use.

I don't agree with myself here....
Old 15th February 2019, 02:08 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Other drivers in the sb15 range might be worth considering as well - they're all good value. If you prefer one cone material over another, there are plenty of options.
Old 15th February 2019, 02:23 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

@Ilikefoodz : fiberglass and metal seems to be the choice is most studio monitors design. I have not such a big experience to say what material I prefer...

Which other 5" mids with flat response and low THD should I consider in your opinion?

@spendormania : Thinking at your bad experience with the RSS drivers, i was wandering if the reason could be the sympathetic resonance from the mid driver in the 900Hz-2k range . Were the two drivers sharing the same volume?
Old 15th February 2019, 07:30 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Guzauski-swist in their design decouple the MT cabinet from the W in a clever way:

Design

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FL9ZswKLKW1eKL

I was considering this option but with sorbothane washers. I'm not sure if it worth the extra work of doing a L shaped bass unit and a small box for MT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test4.jpg (153.5 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by enricofiocco; 15th February 2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 15th February 2019, 07:58 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

If it fits in your price range, I think the sb15cac30 looks excellent, and supposedly ceramic has lots of the desirable properties of both metal and paper cones.

I have heard that the SB15NRXC30 sounds very good as well, although I would expect it, as a paper cone, to sound somewhat less analytical than metal, so perhaps not the best choice for a studio monitor.

Last edited by ILikeFoodz; 15th February 2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 15th February 2019, 08:29 PM   #30
WaVeInFoRm is offline WaVeInFoRm
diyAudio Member

sub drivers upper frequencys out of the mix?

its a Woofer. it is 8 inches. Plenty of 8 inch woofer designs cross at 1khz why muddy up the mid by having it move more air than it needs to. many designs cross at 500

regarding the tweeter. many tweeters begin to struggle if crossed to low and the mid driver is therefore more efficient to produce this range of the spectrum.

you may be able to borrow something from the sea's 3 way classic, I wonder what crossover he chose. he did use a seas tweeter however and likely crossed higher, but as far as I am aware for higher spl levels with a 1 inch tweeter it really needs to be crossed around 3khz.

what I mean is you wrote as if it where gospel, when really its very variable what crossover points people chose and with what drivers.

could be usefull

looks like a good speaker.
SEAS-3-Way-Classic

this one with baffel step
SEAS-3-Way-Classic-mkII

and another with simuler drivers but a different shape box

Poor Man'

I havent used That mid, it is the lower sensitivity one if I recall. or the smaller 4 inch one.

I have the MRACY version.

3-way studio monitor designHide this!Advertise here!