w-bin low bass box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i could use an education on driver parimeters, and thier value in matching woofer to horns. lets say i am going to build a w bin, what do i look for in a 12", 15", 18".. driver that lets me know it is a good choice? Then there's mid range/mid bass horns, again what am i looking for in a driver that would let me know i've found a good match? As well any info. on sources for horn plans (proven designs please), i found javad shadzi's post here on his inlow horn(john inlows ),but it cut off to soon, shame , javad did put out a lot of helpful information. by the way found john inlow's web page as well.. help please..

Hmmm.

I had a keele w-bin, awesome, but 80-250hz.

It has the length for hundred (assuming length = 1/4 wavelength, old school wants 1/2 lower, 100hz horn should be 1/4 wavelength of 75hz). But the mouth area was lacking to fit. That causes peaks and dips down low. You can get the woofer back chamber so small that it peaks between 2 mouth caused mouth peaks.

But the smacking slam, wow.

3' away, not much bass, 20' away, wow.
Really strange when bass was lessening the closer to the box you got.

Bruce Edgar (rip) agreed, his 100hz or so horns, you need to be over 10' away to hear any bass.

You need to be a wavelength away for it to "develope", so 100hz, 1129hz / 100hz = 11' away.

Check out horn response program for what a driver can do in a generated horn.

In a house, I'd go for double 15's over a front horn

Another factor, without a compression chamber in front of the woofer, the response will not get horn boost above (Fs / qes) x 2

A good option is b&c 12pe32, with a mass corner of 700hz.

GM

Joined 2003
Yeah, a W bin in the home needs to be designed to fire into a corner [conical flare] and ideally use digital delay to line the mids/HF up; otherwise bass bins with short WGs to focus the leading edge of the bass transients similar to W.E. and all its copycats way back when.

Anyway, not up for custom designing, but the various systems at the other site gets one to the point where maybe only a separate sub system for super lows and maybe a super tweeter system for top end 'air' and there's Pi speakers and the DIY Group kits [can't remember their name ATM], so lots to choose from nowadays.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.