Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Spider Selection for OB Project (Custom Woofer Mod)
Spider Selection for OB Project (Custom Woofer Mod)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2019, 11:24 PM   #1
Wikkid is offline Wikkid  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Spider Selection for OB Project (Custom Woofer Mod)

Hello..

I'm rebuilding... but more importantly, modifying a woofer for OB use..
It happens to be a Univrsity C15W if that matters...
(bear in mind that it uses a dual-spider configuration)

As some will know, the original C15w did not have a lot of excursion and had a relatively high FS.... as it was intended mostly for horn applications..

For the lower FS I desire, and the excursion nescessary for use with no box... While retaining as much sensitivity as possible....
I'm wondering.. how compliant a spider (pair) to use!?

I'm told that spiders are "rated" from A to F in stiffness.... F presumably being stiffest.
I'm also told that the C15W used a C rated spider pair...

So:
To those knowledgable... please offer me some advice on what level of stiffness/compliance to choose!

Also, a bit of knowledge about what effect different compliance levals have on woofer behavior, would be great.....
For example.... stiffer vs. compliant cause loss/gain of sensitivity? Cause a higher/lower QM? FS? Affect excursion capabilities? Control? Etc, etc, etc..

TIA

Greg
Old 11th February 2019, 11:54 PM   #2
Mattes is offline Mattes  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Greg,

interesting thread.
Although I cannot offer any real experience, I would suggest to get a TSP measurement device like DATS and, as it seems youŽre planning to exchange the spiders anyway, make some experiments. If youŽre cutting away some of the spider material in form of radially aligned holes, youŽll alter the compliance and should be able to see the differences and tradeoffs.
A few thoughts though:
You wonŽt be able to change the Xmax, which is desired to be high in OB.
As you change FS, you will bring efficiency down, tradeoffs and physics.
Bass extension with a given driver will depend on your approach, baffle size, DSP correction or passive filter, amps planned, placement in room and much more.
You might find out that your drivers (do you have original TSP as starting point? If not, measure!) which have obviously never been intended for OB will be surpassed by specialized OB products, like AE LO 15 and Dipole 15.

All the best

Mattes

Spider Selection for OB Project (Custom Woofer Mod)Hide this!Advertise here!