Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Multi-amp thought experiment
Multi-amp thought experiment
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2019, 10:22 AM   #31
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
There has been no interest in my old Rotel 8 channel amp but it is too good to give away. What can I do with a small cheap DSP and 8 * 40 watts? At my first thought that isn't much for bass but that 40 * 4 is equal to most 150watt power amps I've ever owned and those never seemed shy of bass power. 3-Way or 4-Way? I haven't opened up the box for the DSP yet as too much going on at the moment but I need to get my mind organised.

Whatever is going to happen will be in the context of the drivers I have in the shed and on the shelves but that selection is pretty broad and most of the better, smaller drivers will cope with 40 watts. Let's brainstorm even if nothing gets built for a while, I am a terrible ditherer and prevaricator and I think I prefer to tinker than do straight builds but I have the need to build something big soon
You probably need less power than you think, at home I struggle to get the first signal light lit on an inuke6000 running my subs, which is less than 40W per channel. That's with 12*15" sealed spread across the two channels equalised flat to 10Hz and then then a house curve which is +6dB @ 20Hz sloping down to -6dB @ 20kHz. So if you connected 4 subs to your amp I think you would have enough power.
Old 13th June 2019, 02:47 AM   #32
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately the woofers I have to experiment with are small and not particularly efficient and really only suitable for sealed boxes. Although there is an alternate in a big OB that I might get around to building one day

Multi-amp thought experimentHide this!Advertise here!