Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

12-15 inch pro woofer choice?
12-15 inch pro woofer choice?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2019, 12:01 PM   #31
lowmass is offline lowmass  United States
diyAudio Member

yes I understand about the high Q and huge box.

I guess my question is ...

With the mic at only 1 inch from the cone and cone in open space, what does the freq response look like on a high Q and low Q woofer. No box, no baffle , infinite baffle is OK, and mic at 1 inch or less from cone surface, what does freq response of these two drivers look like as we approach low freq resonance?
freq response from about 300 hz on down, what does close mic measurement look like?

Is there a way to calculate w/o measure?

I have built countless planer magnetic dipole woofers and understand the critical nature of that rising response into lower bass region. Not just the peak but the shape of peak and where it begins. BUT Im not sure of the response og high Q cones vs low Q cones at close mic measure. I believe I need this info to make informed judgment for what Im trying to do.

Last edited by lowmass; 12th February 2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12th February 2019, 02:27 PM   #32
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

>>> I use 2 pa310's per channel in open baffle, and still need quite a bit of bump in the lower frequencies

Curious, do you also use additional bass support like a powered sub?

>>> Godzilla swore by this driver as a fullrange end all woofer.

I do enjoy the 12LTA but having tried it in various ported boxes between 2 and 3cf I never thought it provided deep enough bass in a reasonably sized box to sound balanced. IMO it's tradeoffs are best left for either small sealed applications with bass support or open baffle with bass support. It needs a tweeter too. I think the 12LTA is a fantastic driver for home use with low powered amps.

Unfortunately, having purchased and returned the PA310 - because they seemed so delicate compared to the Eminence drivers - I never played the driver before returning it so I can't say I know its sound. They spec out nicely for home speaker projects - typically requiring smaller boxes than many other Pro Audio woofers from other manufacturers and reaching deeper in the bass.

As for the OP, I think he's on the right track with the Eminence Delta 12LFA - which I understand is commonly used as a Klipsch Heresy woofer replacement (which uses approx 2cf sealed box). Unfortunately, I have found this an exhausting exercise since many 10" pro drivers provide deeper bass in similarly sized cabinets between 2 and 3cf.

Regardless, the Dayton PA310 certainly specs out nicely but I'd like to hear it compared to the Eminence Delta 12LFA.

If you are willing to go to 15" then consider the

Delta 15LFA
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...-more-info.pdf

or the

Legend CB158

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...-more-info.pdf

Sorry for adding to the confusion.
Old 12th February 2019, 05:03 PM   #33
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmass View Post
yes I understand about the high Q and huge box.

I guess my question is ...

With the mic at only 1 inch from the cone and cone in open space, what does the freq response look like on a high Q and low Q woofer. No box, no baffle , infinite baffle is OK, and mic at 1 inch or less from cone surface, what does freq response of these two drivers look like as we approach low freq resonance?
freq response from about 300 hz on down, what does close mic measurement look like?

Is there a way to calculate w/o measure?

As you enter the nearfield pressure rises at lower freq.s compared to the average and (depending on where you place the mic.) at higher freq.s (due to fresnel diffraction effects that change with freq. and mic placement).

Testbench seems to do a lot of their testing in the near-field, you might be able to find a higher Qts driver in their list:

Items tagged with: Test Bench | audioXpress

As for simulation:

XLBaffle/ Edge - amateur audio

Martin King's spreadsheet also had this..
Old 13th February 2019, 12:15 PM   #34
lowmass is offline lowmass  United States
diyAudio Member

great thanks guys I will check the links out

12-15 inch pro woofer choice?Hide this!Advertise here!