Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Measuring driver parameters vs the data sheet values
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2019, 06:16 PM   #31
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

I let the coins sit loose, and i usually place them with equal distance around the dust cap, make sure you have as much weight so that driver fs drops at least 25-30%
Old 11th February 2019, 06:26 PM   #32
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggidzinski View Post
Do they include good instructions on the process to be able to achieve their claimed results?
It is pretty simple. I talked with one of the guys to get things set up. The sw does way more than i use.

Unlike many sw measuring packages it actually goes looking for the key T/S base numbers instead of estimating them from an impedance curve. It comes with its own USB connected current amplifier. It means the impedance curves are not always pretty but they are relatively repeatable and the closest i have gotten to factory.

The Aura NS3 goes nicely into a small sealed box.

Measuring driver parameters vs the data sheet values-aura-ns3-sealed-gif

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif aura-ns3-sealed.gif (20.4 KB, 152 views)
Old 11th February 2019, 08:24 PM   #33
ggidzinski is offline ggidzinski  United States
diyAudio Member

What do you guys think of SoundEasy. Its about the same price as WT2 and Zaph Audio uses it.

Thanks,

George
Musician since 1961, fell in love with audiophile equipment in 1969 when I first met the mesmerizing blue glow of a vintage McIntosh and JBL L300ís. DIY fever started in 1978 watching a pair of Klipsch hornís being built in a garage.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:26 PM   #34
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

On the added weight, for small drivers I simply use bluetac rolled into a snake which I place around the perimeter of the dust cap. Be careful pressing it on, you want it to stick evenly but not push in the cone too far.

Your graph for the NS3 looks clean but the impedance peak is quite a bit lower than the manufacturers curve. The NS3 has a very high QMS which means that the spider and surround are very compliant, I suspect that it still hasn't fully broken in. I'd try the sine wave at 80hz for 10 minutes at close to X-Max. Let it cool and then measure again.

Here is the page for measuring T/S params with REW Thiele Small Parameters It has inputs for air temp and air pressure, so that helps with some of the environmental considerations.

Tony.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:03 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
Now you understand that speaker units are not nuts & bolts, their specs change with climate conditions, age, different materials introduced in production line, etc. You are wasting your time searching for a better way of measuring TSP. I have got Audiomatica Clio, one of the best performing measurement systems in their own time, the 90's of the past century, and I also measure this kind of changes, with Scan Speak, Visaton, Peerless...only Focal and Dynaudio were spot on.
So do you measure the actual drivers and trust your data to design the enclosure even if the actual measurements are very different from the data sheet like my numbers?

Thanks,

George
Musician since 1961, fell in love with audiophile equipment in 1969 when I first met the mesmerizing blue glow of a vintage McIntosh and JBL L300ís. DIY fever started in 1978 watching a pair of Klipsch hornís being built in a garage.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:19 PM   #36
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Indeed I do. You were right in thinking when you said that it would have made more sense to build an enclosure of variable volume and then work your way up by experimenting and testing which of these might have suited your purpose better.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:19 PM   #37
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

You may want to have a look at this post to get an idea of why I am recommending trying REW SB acoustics SB12MNRX25-4 "full range" Build thread I've been there done that

The SB driver in questions datasheet is here 4" SB12MNRX25-4 :: SB Acoustics

Tony.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:55 PM   #38
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

There is another and probably last resort to acquiring the lowest possible driver Fs. The German Hobby HiFi magazine states that not always is the elaborate computer measurement system the best way to measure specs, like TSP, so they do it manually with a signal generator, multimeter, amplifier, a measurement resistor, and a calibration resistor. They have explicitly said more than a couple of times when readers were wondering why their measurement appeared differently from the ones in magazine, and they said it was because of the way they measure, as described above (constant voltage method).
Attached Images
File Type: png Measuring TSP.png (83.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 11th February 2019, 10:59 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
On the added weight, for small drivers I simply use bluetac rolled into a snake which I place around the perimeter of the dust cap. Be careful pressing it on, you want it to stick evenly but not push in the cone too far.

Your graph for the NS3 looks clean but the impedance peak is quite a bit lower than the manufacturers curve. The NS3 has a very high QMS which means that the spider and surround are very compliant, I suspect that it still hasn't fully broken in. I'd try the sine wave at 80hz for 10 minutes at close to X-Max. Let it cool and then measure again.

Here is the page for measuring T/S params with REW Thiele Small Parameters It has inputs for air temp and air pressure, so that helps with some of the environmental considerations.

Tony.
I have just reviewed the TS measurement process in REW. Could you please outline the impedance measurement circuit that you use as there are a few different approaches (sound card only, separate amplifier, etc)?

Thanks,

George
Old 11th February 2019, 11:05 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
There is another and probably last resort to acquiring the lowest possible driver Fs. The German Hobby HiFi magazine states that not always is the elaborate computer measurement system the best way to measure specs, like TSP, so they do it manually with a signal generator, multimeter, amplifier, a measurement resistor, and a calibration resistor. They have explicitly said more than a couple of times when readers were wondering why their measurement appeared differently from the ones in magazine, and they said it was because of the way they measure, as described above (constant voltage method).
I tried to find an article from this magazine discussing how to measure TS parameters but I cant find anything. Also I can not read German. Do you have a link?

Thanks,

George

Measuring driver parameters vs the data sheet valuesHide this!Advertise here!