Mid-bass Horn Design help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Bin lurking a lot of time at this forum for a good mid bass horn design but can't find the right solutions or designs. There are no measurements available so it's difficult to evaluate. I use a A-290 Uchi horn and have a 200Hz tractrix horn so I want to cross at 500/600Hz I have no driver and want to look at a 12" or 15" also want a straight horn. What should I build round tractrix or square or simpel conical. Freq range from 80/100 Hz to 500/600Hz. Maybe a dual 12" conical. I have no budget because I build everything myself and I don't care if the driver is expensive but it should be easy to get. Can you guys help me out to make the right decision on the build. I can measure the speakers and now a little of Hornresp.

Thanks
Rob

a JWC Mini-Punch (vented back chamber) would be the size of a Klipsch Belle -

perhaps check out John inlow's site inlowsound.com

"JWC Mini-Punch"

retro vintage modern hi-fi: JWC DIY Mini Punch Kit From Fast Lane Audio
jm34XlV.jpg

I simulated a tractrix horn with B&C 12PE32.
That simulate really good also.
What do you think about this design?

I have a pair of 80Hz horns similar to the Edgar horns using Electrovoice EVM 15L drivers. I'm pretty sure they have a throat around 500cm2. If you are using a 12" driver then I think the throat can be smaller. When I prototyped these horns they ended up around 60cm long. I also built a prototype JBL 2020H 12" driver horn that worked out around 80cm long with a smaller throat suited to the smaller driver.

Attachments

• originalconeVSoem.jpg
    originalconeVSoem.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 486
  • groundplane.jpg
    groundplane.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 464
Joined 2008
Paid Member
You would think this topic was thoroughly beaten to death.

I’ve been stuck in analysis paralysis for longer than I’m willing to admit over what mid bass horn I could pull off in my living room that would work with my Oris 200 and a variety of other midrange horns I either have or have drivers for.

The usual suspects have been mentioned...Volvotreter, Inlow Sound (BTW his 135Hz horn is based on the B&C 8PE21...not sure if you guys were just interested in the 12PE32 instead).

A few other links:

100 Hz Multi-sided Conical Midbass Horns - DIY Firefly

Guy started with Volvotreter and then kind of did his own thing.

Also the Quarter Pi...

Quarter Pie Bass Horn: Measured FR, How2Build, and Hornresp - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio Community

I’m sure there’s others I’ve forgotten about....that’s usually how it goes. There was several lengthy threads on here discussing various drivers like the Fane 8M in mid bass horns.

I have gotten as far as buying pairs of reconed Electro Voice EVM15B and the B&C 8PE21 drivers to experiment with.

I also tried modeling the 8pe21 in hornresp in a multi segment conical similar to Inlow. I didn’t get quite the upper frequency extension that I wanted or that he shows on his site so I put it aside.

My recent re-read of an old interview with Edgar makes me want to try a hyperbolic mid bass. Inlow has some info on his site about a 60Hz crescent hyperbolic if I remember correctly.

Since I was spinning my wheels, I decided to give a dipole design a shot. I’m just finishing it up now.

BD Design was mentioned for his horn designs. Strangely enough, last I looked he came out with an iteration of a slot loaded dipole bass design utilizing 12 inch BMS drivers to use under his smaller full range horns. Previously he had an enormous stacked type of dipole with his 15 inch drivers and a horn lens on the front.

I have a pair of 80Hz horns similar to the Edgar horns using Electrovoice EVM 15L drivers. I'm pretty sure they have a throat around 500cm2. If you are using a 12" driver then I think the throat can be smaller. When I prototyped these horns they ended up around 60cm long. I also built a prototype JBL 2020H 12" driver horn that worked out around 80cm long with a smaller throat suited to the smaller driver.

Rob what was the Mic distance to mouth from those measurements?

Gonna look at the links you give. I just pick a speaker with good parameters for a horn but I'm free to pick any. I also looked at the GPA515 as a good contender if you read the reviews.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.