Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Mid-bass Horn Design help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2019, 09:33 PM   #11
RobWells is offline RobWells  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dingen View Post
I simulated a tractrix horn with B&C 12PE32.
That simulate really good also.
What do you think about this design?
I have a pair of 80Hz horns similar to the Edgar horns using Electrovoice EVM 15L drivers. I'm pretty sure they have a throat around 500cm2. If you are using a 12" driver then I think the throat can be smaller. When I prototyped these horns they ended up around 60cm long. I also built a prototype JBL 2020H 12" driver horn that worked out around 80cm long with a smaller throat suited to the smaller driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg originalconeVSoem.jpg (199.8 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg groundplane.jpg (218.2 KB, 197 views)
Old 8th February 2019, 12:11 AM   #12
hottattoo is offline hottattoo  United States
diyAudio Member

Check with Bert Doppenberg if you have not already. He has some nice horn designs and drivers.

BD-Design, only the best!
Old 8th February 2019, 01:18 AM   #13
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

take a good look at John Inlow's 12pe32 horn schematics ("Diy 100Hz Midbass Horn") - he gives enough info there to model.

inlowsound.com

here's an approximation of his 135Hz 12pe32 horn vs your input

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 8th February 2019 at 01:28 AM.
Old 8th February 2019, 02:14 AM   #14
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm on a tiny monitor and didn't realize the inputs were at "CON" - plus could not get the length the same using "T"

@ RobWells - that's a fabulous graph with the EV15L horn

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th February 2019, 02:16 AM   #15
chromenuts is offline chromenuts  United States
diyAudio Member

You would think this topic was thoroughly beaten to death.

Iíve been stuck in analysis paralysis for longer than Iím willing to admit over what mid bass horn I could pull off in my living room that would work with my Oris 200 and a variety of other midrange horns I either have or have drivers for.

The usual suspects have been mentioned...Volvotreter, Inlow Sound (BTW his 135Hz horn is based on the B&C 8PE21...not sure if you guys were just interested in the 12PE32 instead).

A few other links:

100 Hz Multi-sided Conical Midbass Horns - DIY Firefly

Guy started with Volvotreter and then kind of did his own thing.

Also the Quarter Pi...

Quarter Pie Bass Horn: Measured FR, How2Build, and Hornresp - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio Community

Iím sure thereís others Iíve forgotten about....thatís usually how it goes. There was several lengthy threads on here discussing various drivers like the Fane 8M in mid bass horns.

I have gotten as far as buying pairs of reconed Electro Voice EVM15B and the B&C 8PE21 drivers to experiment with.

I also tried modeling the 8pe21 in hornresp in a multi segment conical similar to Inlow. I didnít get quite the upper frequency extension that I wanted or that he shows on his site so I put it aside.

My recent re-read of an old interview with Edgar makes me want to try a hyperbolic mid bass. Inlow has some info on his site about a 60Hz crescent hyperbolic if I remember correctly.

Since I was spinning my wheels, I decided to give a dipole design a shot. Iím just finishing it up now.

BD Design was mentioned for his horn designs. Strangely enough, last I looked he came out with an iteration of a slot loaded dipole bass design utilizing 12 inch BMS drivers to use under his smaller full range horns. Previously he had an enormous stacked type of dipole with his 15 inch drivers and a horn lens on the front.
Old 8th February 2019, 07:17 AM   #16
Rob Dingen is offline Rob Dingen  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWells View Post
I have a pair of 80Hz horns similar to the Edgar horns using Electrovoice EVM 15L drivers. I'm pretty sure they have a throat around 500cm2. If you are using a 12" driver then I think the throat can be smaller. When I prototyped these horns they ended up around 60cm long. I also built a prototype JBL 2020H 12" driver horn that worked out around 80cm long with a smaller throat suited to the smaller driver.
Rob what was the Mic distance to mouth from those measurements?
Old 8th February 2019, 07:23 AM   #17
RobWells is offline RobWells  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dingen View Post
Rob what was the Mic distance to mouth from those measurements?
The JBL horn was outside measured groundplane at 1m.

The EVM I'm not sure possibly in room at seating.

These were built around 13 years ago and I'm having trouble finding the off axis measurements for the EVM horn. Will measure again once the weather gets better.

Rob.
Old 8th February 2019, 07:24 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaesh View Post
Ang 0,5 x pi seems too optimistic. Or will you really place horn mouth in corner?..
No gonna change that Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 07:28 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromenuts View Post
Gonna look at the links you give. I just pick a speaker with good parameters for a horn but I'm free to pick any. I also looked at the GPA515 as a good contender if you read the reviews.
Old 8th February 2019, 07:30 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks Freddi for the simulations going to experiment again.

Mid-bass Horn Design helpHide this!Advertise here!