Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Seas Excel Graphene?
Seas Excel Graphene?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2019, 08:34 PM   #11
racingpht is offline racingpht  Canada
diyAudio Member

I always wonder what caused the small bump in the area of 400-600hz in many rigid cone drivers. Many 5-6 inch metal drivers including Seas L16, SB15NAC30, Accuton has the same issue.

The new Graphene driver seems better in this regard(both FR and IMP curve)

SB15NAC30
Click the image to open in full size.

c158
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th February 2019, 08:38 PM   #12
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

It's a good way to improve the weakness of the magnesium excel range ie the break up. Not sure the naked copper suits, wd like to have seen a new phase plug colour (and shape?) to go with the cone. A matching grey wd look sick

Still, the mid version shd be v nice

Last edited by Bill poster; 5th February 2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 5th February 2019, 09:08 PM   #13
Windforce85 is offline Windforce85  Poland
diyAudio Member

Finally very nice new metal driver from reputable manufacturer. Primary break-up moved 35% higher in the frequency range, considerably higher continuous power handling, much lower mechanical losses and greatly reduced coil self-inductance both nicely reflected in the impedance values clearly visible on graph. All of those solid performance indicators will definitely cause serious upgrade to top-performing yet very expensive Excel line. HiFiCompass, do you hear me?

And obviously lots of other's complaints becouse of something new.

Last edited by Windforce85; 5th February 2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 5th February 2019, 09:20 PM   #14
Jonasz is offline Jonasz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windforce85 View Post
And obviously lots of other's complaints becouse of something new.
Yes, very irritating...
Old 5th February 2019, 09:33 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingpht View Post
I always wonder what caused the small bump in the area of 400-600hz in many rigid cone drivers.

Cone edge becomes to decouple from surround which causes sudden moving mass decrease with rising frequency. Cone starts moving without part of surround and it already tends to bend slightly, efficiency of radiation rises, so sensitivity goes up a bit as a result. Do not confuse it with break-up, driver is clean for another few octaves up (or even full decade if surround is particularly soft).

Soft cones can tame its surrounds when they are going wild but obviously it is reflected in energy storage increase, despite SPL jump removed from nice graphs. Rigid membranes are free from energy storage until primary break-up frequency were piston motion finally disintegrates.

Last edited by Windforce85; 5th February 2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 5th February 2019, 09:53 PM   #16
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

There is no such thing in SB15NBAC nor SB17NBAC. Engineers from Seas could use a lesson or two from guys from SB. Taming the breakup also, not dancing with it.

Last edited by Zvu; 5th February 2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 5th February 2019, 09:57 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
There is no such thing in SB15NBAC nor SB17NBAC. Engineers from Seas could use a lesson or two from guys from SB. Taming the breakup also.

Excel still uses straight cones whereas SBxxNAC have smart 2-staged, curvilinear cone shape with additional slits and these cool features combat with surround wildness and break-up mode Q value very efficiently with little penalty in reduced stiffness and little increase energy storage (kept on unmeasurable level, impossible to avoid physically). On the other hand, Satori line of woofers was plagued with this issue. NAC drivers serie is a wolf in sheep's skin.

But wait, surround detachment is clearly visible on SBxxNAC measurements, racingpht already has posted it.

Last edited by Windforce85; 5th February 2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 5th February 2019, 10:14 PM   #18
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

That's why i said NBAC not NAC

SB introduces their models slowly so eventually we will see alu cone Satori, i'm sure of it.
Old 5th February 2019, 10:21 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
That's why i said NBAC not NAC

SB introduces their models slowly so eventually we will see alu cone Satori, i'm sure of it.

I believe it is already fixed in SB15NAC as well, they thickened inner part of surround and made surround - cone edge overlapping area broader. I am keeping those drivers in hands althought I have no time to mount them and measure.
Old 6th February 2019, 12:17 AM   #20
racingpht is offline racingpht  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windforce85 View Post
I believe it is already fixed in SB15NAC as well, they thickened inner part of surround and made surround - cone edge overlapping area broader. I am keeping those drivers in hands althought I have no time to mount them and measure.
What do you mean "fixed"? Are there two revisions of the same driver?

I have SB15NAC, but same here: No proper measurement.

BTW, the bump was not seem in this build:
SB 23 TL (Transmissionline) - Mai 2016 - Lautsprecherbau-Magazin 2016 | Lautsprecherbau - Lautsprecher selber bauen

Seas Excel Graphene?Hide this!Advertise here!