Any projects with W8-2096

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did a quick google and also drew a blank.

Looks interesting but seems to need a fairly big box to get a typical 8" monitor F3 of 35hz - needs around 40l reflex box. Parts Express suggest 30l for f3 of 41hz but does not it is low distortion and can run to 5khz. However TB only provide on axis measurements so there is little info on off axis and break up to go on.

Cross this a 2khz with a SB26CDC in a 40l BR box may be quite nice but would need modelling to find out.

Did a quick google and also drew a blank.

Looks interesting but seems to need a fairly big box to get a typical 8" monitor F3 of 35hz - needs around 40l reflex box. Parts Express suggest 30l for f3 of 41hz but does not it is low distortion and can run to 5khz. However TB only provide on axis measurements so there is little info on off axis and break up to go on.

Cross this a 2khz with a SB26CDC in a 40l BR box may be quite nice but would need modelling to find out.

I have a pair to use with the DA32TX Peerless tweeters, but I've not commenced yet.

Be aware- the measured T/S are quite different than the spec sheet, and the drivers are a bit different from each other. However, they model fairly similarly.

Also of note- the surround is a impregnated foam rubber to resist rot, and the frame is a polymer style.

I've included a couple sims of the 2 different units and how they model in box.

Later,
Wolf

Attachments

• 2096-compare.jpg
    2096-compare.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 361
  • 2096PR-1.jpg
    2096PR-1.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 354
  • 2096PR-2.jpg
    2096PR-2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 350
I have a pair to use with the DA32TX Peerless tweeters, but I've not commenced yet.

Be aware- the measured T/S are quite different than the spec sheet, and the drivers are a bit different from each other. However, they model fairly similarly.

Also of note- the surround is a impregnated foam rubber to resist rot, and the frame is a polymer style.

I've included a couple sims of the 2 different units and how they model in box.

Later,
Wolf

Not Bad at All, how about your "wield" project?
Standmount or towers?
Are they great value for about 100$???

40ltrs will get you an F3 of about 31 Hz for a single woofer. I would not go under 40 ltrs for a pair of woofers or you will drastically reduce it's low-end response. 20 ltrs is about as small as you can physically fit the driver, tweeter, and a port anyway- and it's a shoehorn! 30 ltrs for a single should be respectable, but the size increase didn't net much more extension to warrant the larger volume.
A 2.5-way would present a 2 ohm nominal impedance, and most amps will not handle that.
Also, small-variety horn tweeters will not likely reach low enough to meet the response of these woofers. You'll need a fairly good sized compression driver to reach low enough to meet them, and then the top-end of the CD will need help to reach the upper treble. I'm betting 1200-1300 is about all you'll get from the W8 woofers.

I'm getting the feeling you want these to look like a Klipsch tower, which will be compromised in all sorts of ways. Being you would have to run them in series with a pair of woofers, and that won't gain you sensitivity to meet the horn, unless your amp can drive a 2 ohm load and run them in parallel.

Later,
Wolf

40ltrs will get you an F3 of about 31 Hz for a single woofer. I would not go under 40 ltrs for a pair of woofers or you will drastically reduce it's low-end response. 20 ltrs is about as small as you can physically fit the driver, tweeter, and a port anyway- and it's a shoehorn! 30 ltrs for a single should be respectable, but the size increase didn't net much more extension to warrant the larger volume.
A 2.5-way would present a 2 ohm nominal impedance, and most amps will not handle that.
Also, small-variety horn tweeters will not likely reach low enough to meet the response of these woofers. You'll need a fairly good sized compression driver to reach low enough to meet them, and then the top-end of the CD will need help to reach the upper treble. I'm betting 1200-1300 is about all you'll get from the W8 woofers.

I'm getting the feeling you want these to look like a Klipsch tower, which will be compromised in all sorts of ways. Being you would have to run them in series with a pair of woofers, and that won't gain you sensitivity to meet the horn, unless your amp can drive a 2 ohm load and run them in parallel.

Last edited:
The published response has them going relatively flat all the way out to 5khz but they don't give any off axis data so we don't know how bad they are beaming that high. I would be interested in that data if anyone has it.

Also these may be interesting to run 2.5 way with DSP...just a thought. You avoid the low impedance problem that way. I may try to model them with a ribbon tweeter as well. (im still new at this so if there is a glaring problem with this approach please let me know)

Hi folks. just 2 weeks ago friend of mine finished my new no named project. 2way standmounts rear ported, 8" woofer Dayton RS225-4 as a midwoofer and SB acoustics sb29sdac in a waveguide, cabinets are about 1,6 cubic feet (net volume), xover point is about 1.550 HZ, and can tell you-they play just amazing, didnt expect that....

Hi folks. just 2 weeks ago friend of mine finished my new no named project. 2way standmounts rear ported, 8" woofer Dayton RS225-4 as a midwoofer and SB acoustics sb29sdac in a waveguide, cabinets are about 1,6 cubic feet (net volume), xover point is about 1.550 HZ, and can tell you-they play just amazing, didnt expect that....

Must add some pics for your idea how does it looks like...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

59986316_1604939212974599_7263692611330768896_n.jpg | Ulož.to

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.