Fabric vs Metal Dome Tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Focal Be tweeters are impressive, JBL hard dome sounds interesting, but I never liked B&W hard tweeters. In general, soft domes are rather transparent (lack of character).

My impression is hard domes are more colorful and has a diversity, so unless you really fall in love with a specific hard dome, soft dome would be a safer choice.

Much of this advice rings true. It seams that a fabric dome that is not preferred is boring (hence safer as stated here) and a metal dome often has to be tamed or it has aggressive/fatiguing properties when it’s bad. I once read an interview regarding my trusty NHT3.3’s where the designer said it was the first metal dome tweeter that he liked, implying that he passed over most. So far to me, most metal drivers offer more detail and realism for vocals and acoustic instruments at moderate listening levels if the recordings are of high quality but can be quite punishing and fatiguing with loud, poorly recorded rock etc. metal drivers of course have breakup that you have to cross away from or tame.

I appears that a “good enough dome” are a dime a dozen and metal domes are like race horses that are mostly a PITA to handle but a few of then are like Sea Bisquit if you can figure out how to handle and use them, yielding quite happy results.

I guess if I really want to punish myself and all of you we can add questions about full on horn drivers to the mix. For now I think I’ll limit myself to this rabbit hole.

Thanks,

George

Last edited:
my PMC FB1’s have metal domes, clear and transparent at low volume, but loud and with rock they eventually cause fatigue. PMC later revised the FB1 series with a fabric tweeter. This is an example of a manufacturer making the switch. It’s well known which tweeter this is and I have thought of doing the upgrade myself, along with a tweak to the XO. However, the speakers are doing well in my HT set up as R and L mains where they seem to be fine.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.