Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Precision Devices 18" for bottom of 3 way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2019, 01:37 PM   #11
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't use it above 300hz. Slopes... 12... 24db... Depends on what sounds best
Old 10th February 2019, 03:26 PM   #12
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Good specs for what use? Don't forget that an 18" won't be able to produce much off axis mids, so is IMO limited to bass use. Making a 2 way out of it will be an expensive lesson because it will result in a horrible sounding speaker with a huge off axis mids dip.

Many small subwoofer/bass drivers in separate boxes also sound better then 1 big one due to placement options.
Old 10th February 2019, 08:30 PM   #13
John Busch is offline John Busch  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Heresy I'll tell ya, Heresey!!

Just for fun... You can build a surprisingly competent 18" two way suitable for domestic use using an 18" and dome tweeter. Know eyes are rolling... but it has been done. As a demo - think piece, I designed such a crazy thing for a DIY get together in the S.F. CA area sometime around 2000 or so. I named the thing "The Jokes".

As always, it comes down to good basic engineering. I will admit, the result was far from practical for most users. The major part of this unique contraption was driver choice.

The 18" was a medium Xmax paper cone pro PA driver built for Wright Brothers Sound by Eminence. Happened to have 4 left over from a big pro sound project. It was intended as a high output mid woofer for vocals. Light cone, 2.5" 4 layer voice coil. 80 oz vented magnet. Low QTS. Very low FS (18 - 20 Hz) Cone profiled for max possible dispersion. So it was quite reasonable off axis up to about 750 Hz or so.

Enter a special dome tweeter... the venerable Scan-Speak D3806/820000. This wonderful creation has been in continuous production for over 4 decades!! Not very many drivers can qualify there! 1.5" treated silk dome with a HUGE (SD) motor with a LOT of copper. Can play nicely down to 1,200 Hz assuming a correct 2nd order Butterworth (electrical) 3rd order acoustic crossover.

The D3806 ran flat out. On a larger baffle with a bit of recess it is about 91 dbw. The 18 was in a heavy stuffed 5 cu. ft. sealed box that provided a QTC of about .65. Add a healthy baffle step correction circuit and a 2nd order Butterworth low pass (electrical) at the right frequency and you have a flat output from around 38 Hz up to just over 18Khz. Vocals were wonderful. Imaged quite well. Power response was quite nice. Big and ugly, but did sing. What I remember most about this design was how effortless it was. Kind of like a BIG OB. Know it really surprised a lot of people. OK, I'm done!
Old 11th February 2019, 11:54 PM   #14
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply John! Those sound awesome. I wish I could hear all the mad creations out there. Especially many of yours.

I am really having trouble trying to decide on how to go with my project. I want to use large drivers in a 3 way, and am not sure how to decide which drivers to use. It's tough.

Precision Devices 18" for bottom of 3 way?Hide this!Advertise here!