Has anyone used QTX drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently built myself a bass amp, and I wanted to put it together on the cheap without actually constructing the cabinet and building an amplifier etc. So I bought a 12" car woofer cabinet, a small mixer-amp, and then I needed a driver. I wanted a PA driver because they're cheap, and sound great for music instrument amplification (previous experience).

I tried a few drivers, but the QTX 12" I got blew the others to pieces, and actually sounded really good! I know what cheap PA drivers generally sound like, but the QTX surprised me. In the cabinet, it sounds really great.

So I have a little faith in QTX now, and I had a quick Google search for the brand, and they seem to be nicely established on the webs, and I see they've got some hifi drivers. I'm referring to the QXW6, or 902.423UK for the part number.

Has anyone used anything from QTX at all? A long shot question - has anyone measured them for specs at all?

I currently use 4 naked QTX 12" drivers (902.222) as (sub)woofers, crossing over at about 120Hz.

With -6dB/octave EQ (starting at 30Hz) they work very well.

Pressed steel construction, polypropylene cone and large magnet - great value for Open Baffle duties, but don't seem to be available any more. Nor are the sibling 15" versions.

Some QTX Thiele-Small parameters are here:

http://www.avsl.com/assets/downloads/thielesmall_902127.pdf

Thanks for those specs, keithj01! Unfortunately FR would need to be measured, which is a pity because some of the drivers I'm interested in look good (real-life inspection) and have nice parameters. I would love to know the dimensions as well.

The 12" I have is the common 902.542UK. It sounds so good! Your 902.222's must thunder quite hard.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.