Thought experiments and musings about old speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I've been going through my stash of old stuff and finding speakers mates have given my over the years and some of the drivers I have rescued from the roadside too.

I was never a critical listener when I was 14 to 18 YO but there were speakers I did really like for one reason or another but some things I do remember when talking to mates fathers who were listeners [ always the fathers never the mothers for some reason] and the differences between people who listed to classical and other "old fashioned " music and people who liked Rock&Roll and those who favoured speakers from different countries. Back then here in Australia it was British for the immigrants from GB in the main and probably an equal split between Japanese brands and USA brands and while it is probably a very broad generalisation most of the parents who listened to R&R favoured American brand speakers and those who preferred classical listed to Japanese brands and in those days I never bothered to analyze why.

One thing I remember vividly tho and which has always coloured my own DIY is that the bigger the speaker the better they sounded.

So going though my stash and looking at Japanese drivers from the late 60s and early 70s they all seem to have one major thing in common; relatively small magnets and incredibly light paper cones.
Would the Japanese drivers of the day had better and smoother midrange than similar sized boxes from America?

Having thoughts now about using some drivers to make a very old style monkey coffin using some old fashioned 12 inch woofers and this really nice Akai 10 inch woofer that has a very clear midrange and reproduced female voice nicely [ I got the boxes free because they had water damage and the old owner was downsizing] and I have the sealed back midrange and tweeters also.

Thoughts on my ramblings?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I've found the same. So what is it, do smaller speakers have breakup at critical frequencies, is the midrange better on the baffle rather than around it? Old speakers may also have pleated surrounds. Paper is well damped, even though it is less than ideal in other areas it is still good to use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.