2-way Pa monitor tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am making a Pro 15 inch 2-way PA monitor with a eminence ASD:1001 compression driver paired with a Dayton Audio H812 1" Exponential Horn and a KAPPA PRO-15A as the woofer. The KAPPA PRO-15A has a Usable Frequency Range of 46 Hz - 4 kHz ,a Resonance(Fs) of 47 Hz and a vas of 5.92 cu.ft. I would like to know what would be the best tuning frequency for the enclosure.The speaker will be mostly be used for Hip-Hop,R&B and Dancehall applications

Box Dimensions

H27

W17.5

D18

An angle of 45° at length 8" for a monitor position

An angle of 45° at length of 3" for cosmetic purposes

Woofer link

Eminence Kappa-15LFA 15" Low Frequency Driver 8 Ohm

I would like to know what would be the best tuning frequency for the enclosure.The speaker will be mostly be used for Hip-Hop,R&B and Dancehall applications

If you mean a box meant as a stage-monitor for musicians ( & not PA Mains ) then I suggest a tighter ( more transient ) box tuning/alignment .

Typically that means something up in the 50hz to 60hz neighbourhood .

The stage will be blanketed by bass from the main rig & adding more LF only detracts from the stage-moniotrs duty ( which is to add voice clarity IME ).

This is why 12" woofers are still favoured for this duty ( they simply do a better job at melding with the LF back-wave produced by the Main PA ) while still providing enough bottom-end support for the singing voice.

:)

Last edited:
If you mean a box meant as a stage-monitor for musicians ( & not PA Mains ) then I suggest a tighter ( more transient ) box tuning/alignment .

Typically that means something up in the 50hz to 60hz neighbourhood .

The stage will be blanketed by bass from the main rig & adding more LF only detracts from the stage-moniotrs duty ( which is to add voice clarity IME ).

This is why 12" woofers are still favoured for this duty ( they simply do a better job at melding with the LF back-wave produced by the Main PA ) while still providing enough bottom-end support for the singing voice.

:)

thanks but i do mean a pa monitor similar to the Ev etx-15p and not necessarily a stage-monitor but i would like to be able to use it as such if the need should arise with the help of a drive rack and a passive crossover if even possible but the main issue now is finding the right tuning frequency for the enclosure that will complement the KAPPA PRO driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.