3 way active crossover advise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone.

So I've made my 3 way cabs and dicided to go active and my setup is 1x 2 channel amp for the 12" subs and 1x 4ch amp for the tweeters and mids and an active crossover unit to separate the frequencies.

I was in the studio the other night giving them a first test and managed to set everything up nicely and they sounded great but when it got to a live gig they really under performance in the sense of I could hardly get any volume out of them before feedback occurring!

My main question is do all amp channels need to clip at the same time as the mixer?

I ask this because all amps channels are just about registering a signal according to their displays while the mixer is at optimum levels. Obviously I haven't set the amps correctly but I just wanted to know if they all need to clip at the same time?

Hope this makes sense!
Sal

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I am thinking long term I would like to go active. What can those of you using a Behringer cx 3400 v2 tell me? Is this a good choice in this price range? I may only need stereo 2-way. I would like the option also of stereo 3-way.

I have an active sub already for everything below 40 Hz. Woofers might be 40 Hz to 400 Hz; mids 400 Hz to 4000 Hz; tweeter above 4000 Hz. Just as an example for 3-way. For 2-way; I would just use it for woofers and mids; the tweeter could be passive as it currently is.

This would not necessarily be in the immediate future. I'm just now considering active X/O. If I can all of the features I think I need in the $200 US price range; I might do this sooner than later. I really don't want or need anything high end but I am looking for a quality product, low noise; true high fidelity for HOME HiFi use ONLY (no pro use or requirement at all).

Thanks for any and all inputs, advice, experiences, etc

If I can all of the features I think I need in the $200 US price range; I might do this sooner than later. I really don't want or need anything high end but I am looking for a quality product, low noise; true high fidelity for HOME HiFi use ONLY (no pro use or requirement at all).

Thanks for any and all inputs, advice, experiences, etc

My 2 cents is the active you use will essentially become the heart of the system and (no disrespect intended) maybe the last place you want to cheap out.

Using new verses used prices, I think you're going to be in the $1,000 and up level to get better sounding actives. Many people like/love the Behringer but I'm wondering if they're focused on its price.....or its sound.

EV has a lineup of actives, Xilica, Yamaha... (for disclosure: I have used an EV DX-38 in the past and currently use a Xilica)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
OK, I was wondering about that as well. I have all passive right now (except sub plate amp). I am using high quality passives and the results are very satisfying. My main concern is in order to get more SPL from my current drivers; I need a sharper X/O and active seems the best way to do that. Plus, if I go with a newer vented woofer; I would want a low frequency HP to prevent over excursion below the tuning frequency.

Thanks! Gives me something to think over for sure!

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Large pipe organs all the way down to 16 Hz. At least once or twice a week. Even the piano low A is at 27.5 Hz. For me; I need and crave that deepest bass. Most people are satisfied at 40 Hz or so; not me! I listen to a lot of classical and jazz also. Tubas, contrabassoons, 5 and 6 string bass, many other instruments that go way below 40 Hz on my standard play list. Not for everyone certainly...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.