Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Design your own speaker from scratch discussion thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2019, 02:40 PM   #41
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

Hey wintermute, here's a sub-section you may want to add to the box construction post. The point here is to show how some boxes don't need bracing. They're already too well braced. This is a photo of an under-construction enclosure at FM Corbato's place. He's permitted me to use his photo.

Some boxes are self-braced

Some boxes require the construction of sophisticated internal chambers or pathways to handle the rear wave of the driver. Two examples are back-loaded horns (BLH) and MLTL (mass loaded transmission lines).

Here is a photo of a BLH under construction:
designing a speaker from scratch images thread-speaker-blh-jpg

This sort of speaker needs the enclosure to have a long and tapering channel to guide the rear wave of the driver. The most convenient DIY way to make such a channel is to make a folded channel by placing partitions inside the enclosure as shown. These partitions are made of ply sheets which fix against the two sidewalls, thus bracing the sidewalls so well that no further bracing is needed.

Therefore, the entire challenge of bracing for inert enclosures is bypassed for BLH or MLTL enclosures most of the time.
Old 9th February 2019, 03:24 AM   #42
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

will do
Old 13th February 2019, 02:38 AM   #43
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

OK finally got around to updating. I added in an editors note as well

So you want to design your own speaker from scratch!

Tony.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:20 PM   #44
cdurocher is offline cdurocher  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wow,

Tony, tcp-ip, thank you for all this. I previously built a set of Pensil-7s that I love and am embarking now on a 2-way similar to an Econowave, but designing it myself. I've spent the last couple months sucking up information about speaker design and construction and refining my plans as I go. This thread would have been so helpful had I found it prior to xmas! Anyhow, I used some new knowledge gained in here to refine my design.

I'm going with an active cross-over care of a mini-dsp, so that simplifies certain aspects. I selected the Dayton DSA215-8, the B&C 250 compression driver, and a Faital-Pro Tractrix waveguide, along with the Dayton DSA215-PR passive radiator. I'm still uncertain about the Tractrix vs. a CD waveguide... Those maths get way too complicated. I would be interested in others' opinions on that.

Design your own speaker from scratch discussion threadHide this!Advertise here!