Thiel CS2.4 xover schematics

I am not sure if this is the right place to post so it's up to the moderator.

This schematic is based on the following link. Since the picture has been posted, so I don't think there will be any IP infringement.
https://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/16092231/1024/Thiel-CS-2.4/CS-2.4-SE-final.png

Since the Thiel CS2.4 uses proprietary drivers so cloning is probably not possible so this is more or less a FYI only.

There are commercial coaxial drivers so it's possible you could use this as a guideline to design a time-phase coherent speakers.

Attachments

• thielcs24.png
    thielcs24.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,040
Hi holco,

How do you like the sound now that all the components have been broken in?

As for the bass inductor, I am not sure changing it will improve the sound unless there is something wrong with the original one. In my experience, wire inductor has a different sound vs. foil type inductor but I don't think it's better or worse. The speakers have been voiced with the wire inductor so if you change to a foil type inductor, it may alter the overall sound but may not for the better.

Hi andy2,

There are still questions about the Wax coils values, my LCR meter indicates that they are too high in value, they are sent to Jantzen and according to them they are within the specs, next week I get them back and I can also tell more.

For the time being they have not been in the crossovers yet.

Regarding the entire upgrade, it gives a significant improvement in SQ!! the key points that I hear are even more air than before with only the Jantzen caps, now it is as if the space embraces you and takes you to the room where the music actually plays out, also the width of the spatial image is now more outside the speakers and also more forward , the naturalness is also very impressive !!

All in all, I was already very happy with the CS2.4 but after the upgrades I now have speakers that I never thought I could own :worship:

Regarding the entire upgrade, it gives a significant improvement in SQ!! the key points that I hear are even more air than before with only the Jantzen caps, now it is as if the space embraces you and takes you to the room where the music actually plays out, also the width of the spatial image is now more outside the speakers and also more forward , the naturalness is also very impressive !!

All in all, I was already very happy with the CS2.4 but after the upgrades I now have speakers that I never thought I could own :worship:

I am glad to hear that. I hope to upgrade mine very soon. I am still trying to determine the best caps for the money.

Upgraded the internal wirering with Supra Ply 3.4/s cable's and also grounded the coax crossover backside, coax and woofer frames, crossovers are placed on the side wall's to gain more distance between them and shorter wirering, low mid and high details are improved and got more air overall, bass is clearly tighter :)

Last edited:
The diameter of the Supra Ply 3.4/S cable outer sheath is 8 mm, I have removed the plastic tube that contained the coax wire and the existing holes are then drilled to 8.5 mm with an angle screwdriver, where the cable enters the coax chamber I glued it with a PU TIX Express from Bostik, first I have the cable extended further then glued and then retracted the cable thru the hole again so that the hole itself is also provided with glue, immediately afterwards I sprayed some water with a plant spray to accelerate the drying process, later I tested the closure by pressing the passive woofer with a good result, totally no movement at the coax, the remaining holes are also drilled to 8.5mm so that the wires are supported there too, this time without glue.

The Ply 3.4 / S cable has two 3,4mm2 (OFC) cores, these cores are far too thick to fit into the holes of the coax and woofer terminals, these are soldered neatly direct on the plus and min terminals, the terminal supports of the coax and the woofer are attached to the units with a bolt, the earthed wires are secured to them so the frames are also grounded.

I have placed the gold plated earth terminal airtight through a 3mm hole between the two +/- connections, at the rear is a thin gold plated solder plate fixed to the m3 bolt.

Today I made a recording of my installation with the song Takla Makan by Yello, sound recording was made with a Tascam DR-40 v2 in the format WAV 24bit-48k, the video is just from my phone.

Now is You-Tube not the most suitable medium for sound and often there is no option to listen to it optimally via the equipment You-Tube plays, so also a link from the original sound file for download so you can directly put the file in your music streamer for the best result.
This recording gives only an impression and is far from how it sounds 1: 1 but I thought it would be nice to share it.

Original sound file out of the Tascam:
thegood.cloud

You-Tube link:
YouTube

Yesterday I placed the last upgrade of this project, I am talking about the Jantzen wax coil's that took some time to arrive but finally I have them mounted on the woofer crossovers and listened for a few hours to what they do in the whole picture.

Believe me, the Wax coils are the icing on the cake!!

Equal to the coax, the upper bass / low mids in the room now places more up front and outside the speakers and the bass / low mids has more weight / push and detail, the Wax coils clearly!! show an improvement with every kind of music in the lower regions, music with low voices like for example Leonard Cohen sounds really freaking good.

I am totally happy with how the speakers are performing now, by default I was already very impressed with the CS2.4 but now they perform at a totally different level!! what I want to say more is that there is absolutely no sharpness or rawness to hear, rather the opposite!! with still the beautiful Thiel character present.