My first build and i want to do something near impossible i think ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NPower ! what a beautiful speaker !!

Something has sparked my interest though, how did you make the flared horn to the left of the speaker ? Do you make the petals with a flair and then angle the edges ? Its a shape i just can't get my head around fabricating ...

thank you

Thanks Meshach

Well I'm not an expert and I don't want hijack your thread, but maybe I can give you some advice.

in fact, the petals were made with a mold and consist of three layers of 3 mm MDF.
The mold follows the Tractrix curve and has a 30 degree aperture. With these 30 degrees, I angle the edges (12 petals x 30 deg = 360 deg).
To assemble the 12 petals I use another rig.

What kind of crossover you intend to use (active / passive ) ??
Did you already saw "Volvotreter" web page ?
I think a lot of good advice's there.
Just keep us informed !

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20190116_120034 (2).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20190116_120034 (2).jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 224
  • thumbnail_IMG_20190116_120245 (2).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20190116_120245 (2).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 226
  • thumbnail_IMG_20190116_120133 (2).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20190116_120133 (2).jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 223
MEH - Multiple Entry Horns like the Synergy from Danley Sound produce coherent controlled directivity over a wide frequency range. There are several threads on DIY wood synergy horns covering different size and coverage patterns. You will also find DIY MEHs using the fiberglass SEOS-24 and SEOS-30, and ABS plastic 30" Klipsch K-402 horn with excellent measurements. Coaxial compression drivers like the BMS 4592-ND further simplify construction.

MEH meet your size and performance goals -- with a step forward in technology.

SEOS waveguides at Auto-Tech website
SEOS-24 - Horns by Auto-Tech

Klipsch sells the K-402 horn as part of their home cinema products.

A K-402-Based Full-Range Multiple-Entry Horn - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio Community

After lots and lots of reading ... I have come to realise the first thing i need to do is buy measuring equipment then build some power supplies, then amps, then test them with my current speakers. Only question is do i make clones of Quad 909's or do i use Pass amps ?
Originally before i discovered DIY HiFi my plan was to buy quad 909's to replace my Cyrus amps.

After i have completely pickled my mind and completed the PSU's and amps I will contemplate making active crossovers for my Linn speakers, if I have success....
Then i will buy the table saw and start the woodworking and construction of my horns.
I will also contact W.A. and ask them if its possible i can have or buy the schematic of the TL15 cabinates to see if its possible to shrink them a little. Or look for a completely different design of T/L sub. ( i have not searched here yet and i'm still pondering with the idea of the vertical folded horn sub )

Anyway, it has dawned on me that i have alot to undertake and no where near enough knowledge to do it haha, so its going to be BIG learning curve for me and alot of questions for you dear people :)

So we will start again, this time starting with tools ... I understand i need.

Soldering iron
Oscillascope
Wave generator or something to create sign wave
Multi meter
Calibrated mic
Table saw
Router
Inclinometer ( for measuring the angle of the table saw blade with high accuracy )
Pillar drill

Can anyone think of anything else ? lolo

What i thought might be done in a month, in reality is going to take me maybe 18 months. Also the cost is not going to be what i thought and it's a little scary.
The whole outset of my project was to build a set of speakers that will easily out perform speakers that may be in the 20k/30k GBP region for 4k/6k GBP.
Now i understand its going to cost more like 10k by the time i finish, if i finish...

I will be straight with you all..... Is this worth doing or should i not even start ?
Does anyone have an idea of what 6x pass amps and PSU's, Active crossovers, Horns and subs sound like ? lolo

Thank you all for you'r time, I feel a little over whelmed but im still very egar to attempt my plan.

Meshch

No, I would not advise to dive into building amps first. Instead get some more amplifiers so you can power all the drivers that you plan to incorporate, these need not be of the same topology or manufacturer, even chip amps could do. Start spending money with caution. Have a search on dsp crossovers, many find MiniDSP okay to work with. Be careful working with tablesaws. Sometimes it is far better to outsource this kind of a work.

I'm not sure I'd bother building the amps, but I'm a speaker guy.

FWIW, I just use some nice Powersoft amps (with DSP) for my stereo. They work, sound good, and there's endless tweak-ability, including linear phase (FIR) stuff. There's another rabbit hole for you.

Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
out perform speakers that may be in the 20k/30k GBP region for 4k/6k GBP

A speaker of that calibre will not reach anywhere near its potential unless you have some appropriate stuff in front of it.

I’ve not heard any new Quads, so i only have the Quad 303/405 to base any opinion on — the PASS amps are very good. All the way from the budget ACA kit up to the SITs which are examples of the very best amps there are. And all sorts in-between (and if price the only consideration some seriously expensive PASS amps).

dave

Ok, assembly of electrical circuits and soldering i have no problem with. testing is another thing ..
As for the table saw, don't worry, i have experience in woodworking and metalwork. ( Another reason for the table saw is i plan to make some furniture from hardwood in the future. I did have access to a fully stocked carpentry workshop but as i plan to do all of this in Spain i will need to buy my own tools and make a workshop )

When i say Pass amp's, what i think i really mean is the First Watt amps that come as kits but are designed by Mr Pass ( ? )
As a child and reading hifi choice over the years the amps i have always been drawn to are Cyrus, Quad and Meridian. Of which over the years i have heard all three. The dream was to own something from Krell lol.

I will indeed scour ebay and look for amps, also the recommendations you have given here. I understand this is going to be a long process and i'm sorry if ask things that might seem stupid to the people of the forum but in all honesty i have no real clue on how to achieve what i want apart from being able to fabricate to a nice finish, the cabinates, horns and stands.

Side question lolo...

I have two Cyrus stereo power amps running as monoblocks. After talking with you lot, would i not be better running the amps mono but use the stereo outputs to go the crossovers and split the bass from the mid and treble ?

.............................¦--L-- Treble / Mid
............¦--L--amp--{
............¦................¦--R-- Bass
--DAC--{
............¦................¦--L-- Treble / Mid
............¦--R--amp--{
.............................¦--R-- Bass

Please ignore the ( ..... ) i could not use tab to space everything out, hope I make sense haha

Meshach

Last edited:
No !
I have seen them in magazines all my life, heard people say how wonderful the sound reproduction is, the sound stage, the everything, this is why i want to make some.
I live in Caerphilly, as you live in north Wales you will understand that to listen to a set of horns is not going to happen anywhere local. I would have to either travel to a shop in London no doubt or beg someone on this forum to allow me to listen the theirs.
One thing i do know is that I have opened pandora's $%!& box lol. :D

Yes, I had a similar dilemma when I first became interested in open baffle speakers (which are a type of horn by the way :)) Reading about them it became evident that many proponents of OB also preferred "full range" drivers. Unwilling to invest large amounts of time and money into something I wasn't sure of I decided to do a number of mockups and began by using car coaxial speakers and sheets of cardboard in order to get an idea of whether I liked the sound, firstly of a point source, and secondly of OB. I strongly suggest you do something similar, you could end up making the most beautiful horns in the world, but hate the sound. :eek:

it is realy funny you should say
" I decided to do a number of mockups and began by using car coaxial speakers and sheets of cardboard "
Earlier today i got some amazon boxes i kept and was thinking about printing some templates and making some horns lol, now i will for certain !

I suppose the most difficult thing for me is to make the chamber and throat correctly, this would have to be made from wood as for the drivers, i will search the forum to see what "cheap" suitable speaker will work. I will attempt to make a full range horn in the next day or two.

Thank you Scott for the inspiration, i had a look at those speakers. They seem odd to me and as Planet10 said " its a strong assertion " I agree, i cant not see how they could be called horns due to the working principle but don't get me wrong, they are interesting.

Tomorrow afternoon i start the cardboard horns :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.