Anarchy 7 - Wavecor MTM Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having great results with the Renditions; can listen to them for hours on end and they always make everything sound just a bit more interesting.
That said, wanted to try the Wavecor tweeter version, and at the same time PE started supplying Wavecor.
Well all good, and had plenty of supplies to make a pair of MTM's with front port/BB boxes; similar to the Renditions with the larger Wavecor tweeter.

Now the stumbling block, no xo schematic.

Any ideas folks?

TW030WA11_12
[TWO30WA11-01]
Anarchy 7 inch woofer by Denovo Audio

**Boxes shown, no wires, xo, etc.

Attachments

• Anarchy 7.jpg
    Anarchy 7.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 867
  • MoreLight.jpg
    MoreLight.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 860
Last edited:
Hi ODougbo,
You probably already know this is very similar to the Apollo MTM kit sold on diysoundgroup. My initial thought is to reach out to them or the actual designer, Pete Schumacher. Pete seems to be very active on Parts Express tech talk forum. I'm not sure how much information he will be inclined to share about the Xover schematic.

@paulys55 already posted the same suggestion.

Best,
Rich

Last edited:
Timely appearance, Odougbo - your approach to the two way would address another thread here re "best" two way, smaller scale (not Altec 19). Yes MTM has its haters...and then another pair of anarchy woofs to anchor the bottom, a la Elsinore. Oh I forgot! 7" drivers cannot make bass.

Not to hijack the thread, but what do folks think of a 2 or 2.5 way of similar design, but with 4 or 6 of the anarchy woofers? Seems like lots of commercial speakers take a similar approach to increased low end response, and the pricing of the anarchy woofer is certainly attractive.

Pauly55, Montana1, Right I don't think the fellows over there are ready to let that design go, not right now anyway. ugh

MTM haters, yes I have heard that many times, but don't know why; MTM's are perfect for many setups. IDK about the base bottoms, the Anarchy is a very well made mid-bass, although they can go down to the 40's in a 1cf box (2 drivers).

Manchambo, there's a 2.5 design out on the web.

Now the xo, I guess this could use this for the woofers, works nicely. Wouldn't know what to use for the Wavecor.

New pic with better light.
btw,,,two snow days in a row, plenty of material = start a second pair.

Attachments

• MoreLight.jpg
    MoreLight.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 779
  • HalfAXO.jpg
    HalfAXO.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 774
I would like to see an informed comment on the Biro analysis. I see only vertical lobing discussed, and no mention of diffraction effects...yes it is all about picking our poison but even a flawed design will let some of the music through, right?

Diffraction is not a MTM specific issue, right?

Anyway, after reading this article, I tried LR4 and BW3 at different frequencies with my MTM with active (digital) crossover. The comparison test was done with correction EQ to match the frequency response very precisely. In my circumstance, BW3 at a very low crossover point was most preferable as this article would suggest. MTM is very sensitive to filter, time alignment and crossover point, but coax or MTM is the only way to vice the image of instrument / vocal vertically still.

yea, mtm's are kind of a love or hate thing.

My buddy said they sound like listening to music coming down a pipe.
I enjoyed a mtm setup with the rat shack lineaum tweet for a long while used in a theater setup.

And ideally (lol), the crossover point keeps a point source thing, or if you have 12" from top speaker frame across tweet to bottom speaker frame, you should not cross higher than 1.2khz, buuuuut good luck with that. Not impossible and there are some smaller rugged tweets now.

I couldn't tell you on 3rd or 4th order, but ideally I am a "time align" guy, so 6db or 24db with the tweet moved back usually.

And yes, a mtm would be an opportunity to make a .5 way for baffle step, but my ears prefer 2 drivers versus a 1.5 or 2.5 way when I was playing around with 4" full ranges run wide open or crossed 24db at 5khz. Once we get past obsessing with an expensive tweeter, we realize the midrange driver is as important, or don't spend $100 on a tweet and $20 on the midrange.

I think mtm is an option, even for 3 across the front, or tmm it for center to get that tweet up to the bottom of the tv.

Oh had several mtm's disasters,,,they are gone now, some went in the fire pit.
The sound stage was crazy on some of them, more front to back movement than left to right; maybe a ploy for a two speaker HT, sound moving all over.

Plasnu, thanks for the link, will take a good look at that soon.
A lot going on AND a now have a xo design for the Wavecor, working on that today.....

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Whether or not the vertical lobing will be a problem depends a lot on how you intend to use them! If you walk around the room or stand then yes, probably an MTM is not an ideal choice. But if you will be sitting and have the tweeters at ear level then the lobing may even be an advantage (depending on what it is like).

I've seen people say they they use it to their advantage to remove floor and cieling bounce at the listening position. I've used a simulator Tolvan Data to try and work this out but because I don't know the math behind it, and the docco is sparse I've never been able to work out whether the CTC distance (for this particular tool) is M to T or M to M.

Tony.

Most mtm bashing comes from poor designs that are, unfortunatelly, prevalent. Like bass reflex - 98% of what you could hear untill recently was very bad implementation and it earned bad reputation for entire loudspeaker concept. Every generalization leeds unavoidably into error.

Second thing, i never understood guys that have problems with vertical lobing. Sit your *** down and enjoy the music. Why all the jumping and walking - how can you hear and evaluate anything or even enjoy it. If it is background music, then you have no right to condemn a concept as bad sounding but only yourself for lack of knowledge about your listening habits and what are your needs.

Last edited:
Great Success so far; a very powerful sounding speaker. Easy to forget they are 23" tall and no subwoofer, 3 make the house shake.
Used all the parts shown here: Denovo Audio Apollo MTM
Which is great deal anyway, wayyy less money than the parts can be bought separately.

Call me crazy but a big believer the BB ply, front port and 1/8" cork lining is an upgrade, e.g. the series drive resistor was too high; piggy-backed a another resistor which increased the tweeter level.

Last edited:
Didn't like the the low end as much as the Rendition mtm, there was some deep crazy bass, but sacrificed the mid range.

Will try this next, mix and match tweeter and midwoofer combination (xo on separate boards).

Attachments

• XO MTM.jpg
    XO MTM.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.