Anarchy 7 - Wavecor MTM Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Plasnu, found the minidsp mic and the USB pre-amp for testing!

Phivates - D28 as in Dynaudio? I do have a pair of those on the shelf,,,so old now, but only used once in a 1986 Blaser. As far back as that is, I remember how nice they sounded.
btw, the Wavecor doesn't weigh much, very light weight, not as much as the Dynaudio.

Norm, say I did have my tax return $$ I'm stuck now with 5 fresh boxes with 4-1/2" cutouts, any ideas?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Doug definitely get some measurements! I think you will be very pleased with the improvement you get if you design a crossover based on some actual measurements of the drivers. I was thinking I'd like to do a sim of this combo, but I could not find any measurements of the anarchy drivers.

Tony.

Lol, if you already cut them out then go for it.

The wavecore outmeasured the morel, and the morel is rugged, like it has that single cap crossed at 4750hz yet 6db down at 2khz, it took all 80 watts from receiver crossed at 120hz, i tried to blow it. But a 10" whizzer also 6db down at 2khz, my wife is opposite end of couch and I'm at chair at feet end, i need dispersion sitting 8' from tv.

Knowing what i know now, much of texture comes from midrange in a 2-way.

Less dispersion can get you more volume in a room before it "over loads".
I had vega 3 ways, sounded distorted in living room on receiver turned to 9:00, in a 30' x 60' room, receiver could be turned past 12:00. My 12" full range was similar, no matter how loud it got, it wasn't annoying blur.

I'm stuck now, but I'm going to try my 12" 2-ways to a receiver to sub at 100hz. Maybe try my solstices first.

Now i know why in a review of diysoundgroup tempest (12" 2-ways) that one said they are a 9.5 on movies but a 6 on music. Watching movies, I'm not listening for the mouse farting at 1:32 on track 8, or the texture of a cymbal.

Steve guttenberg has it right, ideally you have 2 pairs of completely different speakers that each excell in their own areas.

I'm happy you are using the exact same speaker all around you for theater.
So many people don't get that.

Last edited:
Interesting

First attempt at testing:

#3 is a RS bookshelf speaker to add validity to the test setup.

Attachments

• test 01.png
    test 01.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 218
idk,,I liked the sound of the woofers more with the xo I was using, which was Anarchy/ RS28f combination.
Well knew I had to at least give this a try, so mix matched two xo designs i.e. Anarchy/ RS28f bass board for the woofers and a tweeter schematic (board) for the wavcore.

After tuning with the mic/ear realized the xo point was too close together and the mid-range was predominant, but after experimenting with resistor/cap, toned that down to a nice level. The xo point did moved to the right a bit.

They do sound very nice, a bit more open then the first go around; not as flat, but is that everything?

Attachments

• MixOXs.jpg
    MixOXs.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 3pm.jpg
    3pm.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Norm, I saw that also and don't know, but the semi horn does fill the room better than other tweeters I've used.

Almost forgot to check this, but the the phase is way off on the xo; same response (or better) with reverse tweeter polarity.

btw, Klipsch mtm on line 3 (green) a KG2, I did hear that store bought speakers are cranking-up the high end.

Attachments

• fortoday.jpg
    fortoday.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 150
Yea, phase i think can be closer with 12db tweet plus 18db woof (electrically) not looking at driver rolloff. I think bagby said solstice is "time aligned" but I'm unsure if it can pass a squares wave in tact like a 6db.

See post #5

New Kit via PE.... "Solstice", Nice looking one too, Jeff! -

Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

The horn dome tweet may "penetrate" deeper into the room due to less interaction with side walls the higher up it goes.
Similar to my 12" fullrange, it got obscenely loud without overloading room.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The 30 deg is a measurement at 30deg off axis yes :)

The multiple angles show you where the driver is starting to become directional, in the case of the wavecore plot it's around 2Khz. This is much lower than for a non-horn loaded design which means it will better match say a 5 or 6" woofer for dispersion if you are crossing over around the 2 - 3Khz mark.

What you ideally want to see with the off axis measurements is them following the on axis just a number of db lower. Evenness is good. big variations not so good.

Doug, your measurement in post 36, is that of raw drivers? Could you post one of each driver with it's crossover in place and the phase box ticked?

I'm thinking based on your reversesed tweeter response you may have around 90deg difference in the phase.

Often a 2nd order on the woofer and third order on the tweeter will give you the right phase, but the wavecore being horn loaded has an acoustic centre quite a bit behind a regular tweeter and may not need as much phase shift to match the woofers....

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.