Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Anarchy 7 - Wavecor MTM Crossover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2019, 06:48 PM   #11
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

That's an informed comment thank you.
Old 18th January 2019, 04:47 AM   #12
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

yea, mtm's are kind of a love or hate thing.

My buddy said they sound like listening to music coming down a pipe.
I enjoyed a mtm setup with the rat shack lineaum tweet for a long while used in a theater setup.

And ideally (lol), the crossover point keeps a point source thing, or if you have 12" from top speaker frame across tweet to bottom speaker frame, you should not cross higher than 1.2khz, buuuuut good luck with that. Not impossible and there are some smaller rugged tweets now.

I couldn't tell you on 3rd or 4th order, but ideally I am a "time align" guy, so 6db or 24db with the tweet moved back usually.

And yes, a mtm would be an opportunity to make a .5 way for baffle step, but my ears prefer 2 drivers versus a 1.5 or 2.5 way when I was playing around with 4" full ranges run wide open or crossed 24db at 5khz. Once we get past obsessing with an expensive tweeter, we realize the midrange driver is as important, or don't spend $100 on a tweet and $20 on the midrange.

I think mtm is an option, even for 3 across the front, or tmm it for center to get that tweet up to the bottom of the tv.
Old 18th January 2019, 09:19 AM   #13
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh had several mtm's disasters,,,they are gone now, some went in the fire pit.
The sound stage was crazy on some of them, more front to back movement than left to right; maybe a ploy for a two speaker HT, sound moving all over.

Plasnu, thanks for the link, will take a good look at that soon.
A lot going on AND a now have a xo design for the Wavecor, working on that today.....
Old 18th January 2019, 10:22 AM   #14
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Whether or not the vertical lobing will be a problem depends a lot on how you intend to use them! If you walk around the room or stand then yes, probably an MTM is not an ideal choice. But if you will be sitting and have the tweeters at ear level then the lobing may even be an advantage (depending on what it is like).

I've seen people say they they use it to their advantage to remove floor and cieling bounce at the listening position. I've used a simulator Tolvan Data to try and work this out but because I don't know the math behind it, and the docco is sparse I've never been able to work out whether the CTC distance (for this particular tool) is M to T or M to M.

Tony.
Old 18th January 2019, 01:36 PM   #15
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

One simple good test if your MTM working fine is, turn off the top M with correcting the bottom M level, and listen to it as MT. If you still prefer MT to MTM, something is wrong, or consider MTM would not be your speaker.
Old 18th January 2019, 08:33 PM   #16
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Most mtm bashing comes from poor designs that are, unfortunatelly, prevalent. Like bass reflex - 98% of what you could hear untill recently was very bad implementation and it earned bad reputation for entire loudspeaker concept. Every generalization leeds unavoidably into error.

Second thing, i never understood guys that have problems with vertical lobing. Sit your *** down and enjoy the music. Why all the jumping and walking - how can you hear and evaluate anything or even enjoy it. If it is background music, then you have no right to condemn a concept as bad sounding but only yourself for lack of knowledge about your listening habits and what are your needs.

Last edited by Zvu; 18th January 2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 19th January 2019, 11:14 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Great Success so far; a very powerful sounding speaker. Easy to forget they are 23" tall and no subwoofer, 3 make the house shake.
Used all the parts shown here: Denovo Audio Apollo MTM
Which is great deal anyway, wayyy less money than the parts can be bought separately.

Call me crazy but a big believer the BB ply, front port and 1/8" cork lining is an upgrade, e.g. the series drive resistor was too high; piggy-backed a another resistor which increased the tweeter level.

Last edited by ODougbo; 19th January 2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 25th January 2019, 09:26 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Didn't like the the low end as much as the Rendition mtm, there was some deep crazy bass, but sacrificed the mid range.

Will try this next, mix and match tweeter and midwoofer combination (xo on separate boards).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XO MTM.jpg (67.4 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by ODougbo; 25th January 2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 25th January 2019, 04:27 PM   #19
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you measured the response at 1m and your listing position? MTM should be more sensitive to the ceiling / floor reflection due to phase difference of top and bottom M.
Old 25th January 2019, 05:36 PM   #20
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

That tweeter might be worth the sale price of $75 @ PE. 400 Hz resonance yet flat to 20K. The D28 re-invented, and no mention of ferrofluid. C'mon tax refund, someday...
plasnu are you suggesting x-o around 1 Khz?

Last edited by phivates; 25th January 2019 at 05:44 PM.

Anarchy 7 - Wavecor MTM CrossoverHide this!Advertise here!