Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Speakers of today
Speakers of today
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2019, 04:57 AM   #1
man00 is offline man00  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Speakers of today

I haven't been in any higher end shop in decades, just none around anymore. Are the newer home speaker better today than in the 70's and 80's. I know sounds like a dumb question but thats the cost of living in smaller towns
Old 14th January 2019, 05:48 AM   #2
PKI is online now PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Speakers of today
In a few words objectively same level of hi-fi and hi-end speakers today are much better than they were in 70s and 80s. However, for the price you might find top level models of speakers from 80s that would be better sounding than entry maybe even some mid level hi-fi of today. Keep in mind that audio is subjective to some point and one might prefer a sound of very poorly designed speakers from the past :-).
Old 14th January 2019, 08:17 PM   #3
man00 is offline man00  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
In a few words objectively same level of hi-fi and hi-end speakers today are much better than they were in 70s and 80s. However, for the price you might find top level models of speakers from 80s that would be better sounding than entry maybe even some mid level hi-fi of today. Keep in mind that audio is subjective to some point and one might prefer a sound of very poorly designed speakers from the past :-).
Thanks, I'm about 120 miles from Tulsa, OK. The place that's repairing my L100T woofer is there. The guy at that shop said there was still one shop in town for higher end stuff, I may run by there a take look. I hope these JBL's work out for my home theater. I do not care for soundbars so much or the least the ones I heard.
Old 14th January 2019, 08:27 PM   #4
almostdeaf is offline almostdeaf  United States
diyAudio Member

I was in a semi hi end shop the other day picking up my Adcom stuff being worked on, and walked into a listening room that was playing some jazz on a system with some Monitor Audio gold towers. Frankly, I was completely blown away. I love my vintage stuff, but wow!
Old 14th January 2019, 10:35 PM   #5
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man00 View Post
Thanks, I'm about 120 miles from Tulsa, OK. The place that's repairing my L100T woofer is there. The guy at that shop said there was still one shop in town for higher end stuff, I may run by there a take look.
If there is a shop that caters to musicians / DJs you might find they have some speakers that are just as good, for better prices.

JBL LSR308 Review
"With the low frequencies taken over by the subwoofers, the JBL's sound sublime"
Old 14th January 2019, 11:46 PM   #6
drugolf is offline drugolf  United States
diyAudio Member

Hard to hear most of today's gear...anywhere. There is some good new stuff. mostly been able to pack a lot into smaller packages.
Old 15th January 2019, 12:55 AM   #7
cspieker is offline cspieker
diyAudio Member

To listen to new gear, I have started flying to Denver every year or two for RMAF. It is quite fun to hear everything. It also helps me calibrate my ears. It's very interesting the "house" sound of each brand is definitely distinctly different brand to brand. Lots of exceptional gear out there though, although I would say 80%-90% of what I hear is nothing special. Especially when compared to my rig....but I am biased.

Speakers of todayHide this!Advertise here!