Late Ceiling Splash

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some interesting updates to the Audiokinesis range utilising the late arrival "ceiling splash" system

Its a box that sits behind the main speaker and fires a " highly directional" sound towards the ceiling arriving approximately 10ms after the main sound

AudioKinesis Home Audio Speakers

The LCS box appears to be full-range unlike some the up firing tweeter solutions. Has anyone tried something similar?

Last edited:
I just mocked up a crude demo system. It does seem to work well but will get back to you with some longer listening
0rN7bqL5idINTOoKM7WCcK4pA

Last edited:
Last edited:
I purchased and assembled a pair of the 10” Volt loudspeaker kits with the angled flat pack for exploration of this concept but got sidetracked along the way. From my notes, Duke aims for about 10 ms of delay at the MLP and has the units EQed for a spectral content that matches the mains (at the MLP). Bill’s approach is a bit different. His ambient speakers “compensate” for the falling power response of his mains; they are high passed around 2kHz. He also uses DSP to randomize the phase response of these units though I’m not quite sure what the resulting delay is at the MLP.

The Linn Isobarik speaker had up firing drivers, a number of other designs too, it doesn't appear to be anything new? It's claimed in the link that it is the invention of James Romeyn, I'd be interested to know how it differs from previous implementations.

Though not upfiring, I’d also lump the infamous Bose 901 in with this lineage.

Years ago I was at a vintage retailer and came across a stand-alone device that added reverberance to your hifi signal chain. Upon picking it up I quickly realized it was not unlike the spring reverb units Fender manufactured in the 60s.

I suppose a distinction should be drawn between acoustic devices which are meant to “energize” a room and electronic devices which only simulate it. Adding delay to an electronic signal is something almost exclusively associated with DSP but I’d be interested to know if such a thing was ever commercially attempted in Hifi using BBD chips. I know such a thing was popular with effects modules for musicians.

I suppose we’d also have to rope in music concrete and frippertronics but that’s a bit of a digression!

Given those options I'll choose to think you are ;). Because most of the variants discussed here are not solved by 3 way mains.

The key here is the arrival after a time delay, behind the main signal. The preferred content may vary between the different concepts but it isn't something that's easily solved by using different main speakers.
Unless they energise the room in such a way that reflections take a while to arrive at the listening seat. Perhaps a well placed diffuser could do something similar.
The room would have to be suited to be able to use a passive solution like that though.

Last edited:
You want me to purchase some extra modules that should correct what you cannot do with your two-way mains !? You must be crazy, or think I am ...

It’s interesting to observe how successfully stereophony has embedded itself into the audio playback paradigm. The illusion is so complete that the vast majority of its practitioners are unaware that they’re actually engaging in it. HiFi is a prime example of the map becoming the territory.

Most of us can move loudspeakers around a room until we settle on a best placement but how many of us stop and think about what it is that makes such an arrangement preferable to a pair of quality headphones?

Some of you guys have blinkers on

Its nothing new; but is a new way to achieve the same end. Their is no DSP, the delay is created by physical distance ie speaker on floor firing at ceiling to create 10ms delay, highly directional so as not to interfere with the first main wave

God is in the detail as they say and you fellas are missing the detail

Well, the Lynn Olsen I quoted from memory from a few years back was spot on ;). I read that when he wrote it, back in 2014.

Although Gary is happy with the subjective results he is getting, I am looking for methods to offset the narrowing DI with frequency. A supertweeter with wide dispersion is an obvious choice, but it has to be time-aligned for satisfactory integration with the MF driver. A more offbeat method is taking a cue from AudioKinesis and use up-firing driver(s) to floodlight the ceiling with spectrally shaped HF content. It seemed to work for Duke at the Rocky Mountain show; there was no impairment of image quality that I could hear (at least in a show setting), and the spatial impression opened up quite substantially, so the system sounded more like an electrostat.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/100392-beyond-ariel-1206.html#post4098921

The latest incarnation is not HF content but FULL RANGE

10" woofer, 3 mid woofers, 3 compression drivers in 3 waveguides PER BOX firing at the ceiling

Ha. I’d like to see how he fits all that into a box with the following dimensions (taken from the page you linked):
LCS module dimensions: 13" tall x 14" wide x 20" deep, 45 pounds.

From the photo, it looks like some of those drivers are actually mounted on the rear of the mains, possibly also on the top.

Whatever it is, it’s at least the third iteration and the second to have the Space Generator moniker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.