Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Three Woofer 2.5 Way Tower
Three Woofer 2.5 Way Tower
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2019, 08:10 AM   #1
Fernando R is offline Fernando R  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Three Woofer 2.5 Way Tower

This project is long overdue. I started it in 2017 but a house move from Charlotte NC to Myrtle Beach SC intervened. I finally set out to finish it this fall.
It is a 2.5 way tower with three identical Scan Speak 15 cm woofers and an SB29RDC ring radiator. The two bottom woofers roll off around 300 Hz while only the top driver continues to the crossover point, currently at 3.0 KHz.
The woofer is the Special edition Scan Speak Discovery 15W/4524T02. I know some in these pages discouraged others who intended to experiment with this driver. With Troels Gravesenís success with the Discovery line, I wanted to see how a 15W Discovery with an improved low distortion motor would do.
The design tools were CLIO Pocket for Measurements and LSP Cad for crossover and enclosure design. The crossover configuration is a second order LR. The woofer section 2.5 way is derived by a less common series connection with a large bypass capacitor across the bottom 2 drivers. There is a certain elegance to this design since the voltage summation across all three drivers always equals the value of the input coming from the crossover. It does not however, compensate for baffle step the way a parallel arrangement can. I suspect that some successful commercial designs use this concept.
I was surprised by the high frequency performance of the Discovery woofers and the resulting simplicity of the crossover. They seem far smoother than the smaller 12W version, but not quite a 10F. I expected more complexity to deal with HF irregularities but some additional planned components zeroed themselves out in optimization. The low inductance motor definitely helps also. It is still a work in progress but the attached schematic is where the design stands at this moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image000000 (25).jpg (419.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Crossover Scheme.jpg (149.2 KB, 58 views)

Three Woofer 2.5 Way TowerHide this!Advertise here!