How to wire 4 ohm speaker and tweeter to a 4ohm 150w RMS amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Friends,

Iam planning to build a two way speaker system for my 150W RMS 4ohm amplifier. My driver configs are; 8inch woofer of 50W RMS @4ohms and Piezo horn tweeter of 40W RMS @4/8ohms (dnt know why it is marked as 4/8). How can i wire these two ? In series ? or if i need 4ohms nominal from these two can i use a 8ohm woofer instead of 4ohm?

does this system requires a two way crossover compulsory or can i wire it directly in parallel or series ?

Amplifier ratings : 150W RMS per channel @ 4ohms
Woofer : 4ohm, 50W RMS, 8inch
Tweeter : 4/8ohms, 40W RMS, Piezo horn tweeter 7"x3"

so you people are saying crossover is not a compulsion !!!
Does it mean all low freq. will also go to tweeter and all high freq. also go to woofer.
Isn't there any risk of damage ???

I don't know the details, but some one used a simple capacitor as a crossover.
Any thoughts on this please .....

Last edited:
...as a piezo tweeter is a capacitative load, the capacitor used as HP is not useful- but it works, however. And, yes, the problematics of having a woofer and a tweeter ( and, often, a midrange driver ) working together is already solved with the network of components ( L-R-C ) called crossover:rolleyes:

Yes, crossovers are needed, no doubt, but in this particular case it´s common practice not to *add* one to the one that´s already there.

The woofer (any voice coil speaker by the way) does already have a series inductor, the voice coil inductance, which makes it steadily rise impedance above about 1kHz .

And the piezo tweeter IS a capacitor.
So much so that , as recommended above, it´s good practice to add a series resistor, anything from 10 to 50 ohm, 2W.

Its impedance within the Audio band is so high that in practice "it´s not there" and the speaker cabinet can be considered same impedance as the woofer.

My problem is not with that, but woofer power handling.

In any case, we don´t know either the speaker nor the amp involved, so ....

you mean wiring 4ohm woofer + 4ohm piezo tweeter (with a resistor in series) should work. right ? my amp's impedence is also 4ohms. so is there any chance for total impedence issues ? i mean 2 4ohm drivers in parallel reduces to 2ohm right...
Have you *read* the answers above? :rolleyes:

Besides:
2 4ohm drivers in parallel reduces to 2ohm right...
That applies to standard drivers, but a "4 ohm" Piezo is NOT 4 ohm. :cool:

Post the specific Piezo datasheet or specs link for further discussion.

Is it ok in wiring both 4ohm woofer and 4ohm tweeter in parallel ? chance for any total impedence issues ? bcoz my amp's impedence is also 4ohms.
The simple answer is yes, it is OK to wire them in parallel provided you are using a piezo tweeter. The total impedance will be 4 ohm.

However, a simple parallel arrangement it is not optimum. I suggest you read the information that has already been supplied, in particular:

Frugal-phile | Piezo Tweeter Crossovers | J Risch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.