Sonus Faber Extrema clone

I know this has been on here before but I am at a point that I need some help.
I have drawn the SF Extremas in AutoCAD using photos I scaled from known dimensions to get the general shape as close to the original as possible. I have sourced a set of KEF B139 for the passive radiators and a set of Chinese cloned Dynaudio tweeters.
The cabinet will be a laminate of 3/4" MDF with hardwood sides. I have had the templates cut from 5/16" aluminum plate which will allow me to cut the general shape of each laminate piece and then use a flush bit on my router to get them to the exact shape. Each template has 1/4" locating holes to be drilled and fitted with 1" dowels. The front plate that will eventually be wrapped in leather gives me the freedom to try different drivers. The calculated internal volume is 20 liters, just like the original.

Where I need help is the woofer selection. There are so many to choose from it is a bit overwhelming.
Thank you in advance
Dean

Trying a new link cant seem to get it to work.
HcZoLSghSuui2wje8

It seemed to me that those early Sonus Faber speakers are the hardest thing to clone, and I ended up buying original SF Minima from Germany. I sold them to my friend later, but Minima is one of a very few speakers that I still regret to part with, and Extrema should be even better.

Good luck!

Really interested in thie project. I was trying to do it some tiem ago and I left because the big difficult on the wood shape.

Being that it was/is a laminated cabinet I made the aluminum templates so that most people with a router and a power saw could make them, the only thing that I have that most people do not have is a small CNC that I will be able to use for the faceplate. I will hopefully be able to make the templates available if the cabinet turns out as I hope.

It seemed to me that those early Sonus Faber speakers are the hardest thing to clone, and I ended up buying original SF Minima from Germany. I sold them to my friend later, but Minima is one of a very few speakers that I still regret to part with, and Extrema should be even better.

Good luck!

What spurred me into this project was a pair of Sonus Faber Electa Amator II's. I found a set for a great price and waited too long to move on them and missed my chance. I have always lowed Sonus Faber, and have owned several sets, heck, I still use a set of SF Concertinos to test old audio equipment.

Do you have any pics from your template?

Being that it was/is a laminated cabinet I made the aluminum templates so that most people with a router and a power saw could make them, the only thing that I have that most people do not have is a small CNC that I will be able to use for the faceplate. I will hopefully be able to make the templates available if the cabinet turns out as I hope.

manage attachments
browse
upload
preview post

edit: in respect to choosing a driver for the Extrema, fancy a Dynaudio/Audio Technology sort of a knock-off driver,Dynavox LW 6004 PMR-N, 50 bucks/piece at PE?. It seems to have a higher inductance value which might work in your favor this being an inductorless midwoofer crossover design. There is a tweeter clone also, Dayton Audio DC 28F-8 for 20 bucks.

Attachments

• files info.png
    files info.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 689
Last edited: