In-box driver measurement; mic placement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm using Clio Pocket to measure, and import to LSPCAD and XSIM.
I've put the mic on axis for each driver, so the mic is at different height for each driver, and also set the mic in front of the tweeter, and measured all drivers from that spot. Not sure which is standard.

How do you guys place the mic?

LspCad has parameters for defining positions (X,Y,Z) of the different drivers (when mounted on baffle/cabinet) relative to the point you choose as an origin. Often one of the drivers is chosen as reference, and the positions of the others are specified relative to that one. This is useful, in that it allows flexibility placement/position of the drivers for designing the baffle/enclosure.

Another common method is to mount the drivers in the cabinet, make measurements from a given reference point, and then leave the coordinates alone (make sure the input fields are cleared from any previous inputs). Measurements taken from a common point will account for cabinet and baffle influences. However, changes to baffle or enclosure may affect the spl output.

I am not familiar with XSIM.

Also, there is a white paper and Excel worksheet by Jeff Bagby and Charlie Laub that describes a method for "blending" near field and far field measurements for a driver, and extracting the minimum phase. Very worthwhile.
FRD Blender and Minimum Phase Extractor

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave.
When I set the mic at different elevations - on axis to each driver - I do use the location parameters in LspCad. When using the one position measuring, I often need to adjust the driver dB level in the crossover sim.

Let me re-frame the question; If you were measuring drivers in-box for a 3 way crossover would you set the mic in one position, or measure all 3 drivers on-axis?

I've been using the FR combining/blending feature in Clio to manage near LF and gated far HF.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.