Yamaha NS 1000 - Drivers Upgrade/Replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I am Mani from India. Happy owner of Yamaha NS 1000 Which is currently driven by Yamaha AX 900.

Recently I had issues with Yamaha Tweeters and Woofer due to the aging (yeah its 40+ years old) and magnet juice are reaching the End of Life.

Once I have replaced the Yamaha BE Tweeter on left ( purchased online) and Midrange too. Since the replacement drivers are old too I no longer have thought of replace them with originals.

As all know the Yamaha NS 1000 Cabinet solid build ,planning to replace the Woofer,tweeter and Midrange once they stop working, frankly speaking we cant ask more with 40+ years drivers anymore. My dream is to replace some quality drivers to justify the cabinet without much work.

1.Morel CAT 308 replaced the BE Tweeters, the sound quality has dipped still very decent sound I get from these tweeters.

2.One of the Woofers Magnet ,Hence I have ordered Dayton DC 300-8 12'' Woofer which should fit within the cabinet without any alteration.I am Yet to receive the woofer to install and see if the money is well spend on the woofer to match atleast to certain level of Original woofers.

3.The Midrange are fine working and I am looking for a decent replacement without breaking bank.

I listen average and above average volume and more in India Music and Progressive Rock.

DIY Forum has helped me to escape from nightmare when I think about aging Speaker :(. Successfully i have rewired the drivers for one Speaker with 16 Awg for Woofer and 18 AWG for Midrange and Tweeter.

Any suggestions for the Midrange are welcome also let me know any good replacement woofer in case Dayton DC 300-8 is not impressive.
;)

buy original parts from ebay etc

I would suggest replacing as many of the original driver and crossover parts with original spec components scavenged from ebay i e you might get really good bass or midrange drivers from a pair with blown tweeters etc.

Lots of links if you google for refurbishing and or upgrading NS 1000 speakers ie
Yamaha NS-1000M Refurbishment | pink fish media

Good luck and happy new year!
Cheers
Alex.

Hi Alex, wish you happy new year
Thanks for the link and that one shows the love one have for these speakers 100% dedicated and hardworking in fact he upgraded the speaker with original drivers. Wish could try such justice to my speaker as well, bit being in second grade country like India getting the replacement parts from Europe with shipping would cost too much and we have pathetic postal service ( have very had times with shipping ). Also technician who could help around are minimal too. I can't refurbished the speakers but can try keep them safe and singing with original or better match
Thanks again for the reply and post, I am yet to read the refurbished post completely hope it gives more details to move forward.

Hi Alex, wish you happy new year :)
Thanks for the link and that one shows the love one have for these speakers 100% dedicated and hardworking in fact he upgraded the speaker with original drivers. Wish could try such justice to my speaker as well, bit being in second grade country like India getting the replacement parts from Europe with shipping would cost too much and we have pathetic postal service ( have very had times with shipping ). Also technician who could help around are minimal too. I can't refurbished the speakers but can try keep them safe and singing with original or better match
Thanks again for the reply and post, I am yet to read the refurbished post completely hope it gives more details to move forward.

Hi,

Like to register my observation after replacing the Stock woofer with Dayton dc 300 and I would say I am not so impressed ( I do agree that they cannot do justice to the Originals,Still)

The Dayton has some really Good Low end bass, but lacking the Mid bass with backing up the vocals ,which is sweetest of Yamaha ns1000 whole as speaker.

I had to reduce the gain to the Mid and tweeter using LPAD for normal listening.The new woofer has less sensitivity which needs more power to bring bass out. As of now its find, But again am in search of decent woofer to bring the midbass to back up the mid-range for getting sweet spot back.

Any suggestions is welcome, I see all the one who using Yamaha NS1000 should think about option to replace the lousy Woofer which slips due to the Age.
I could spend max 150 per woofer ,which fits to the cabinet without any wood work(Yes ,I love the sturdy Build)

Thanks for reading and suggestions.

If you can't afford the original parts, then you would be better off selling them and buying something else. Somewhere like pinkfishmedia would give advice on a replacement. You can't just stick some random drivers in a box and expect it to sound good. It will only ever sound bad.

Seems odd that the drivers are failing, even if they are old. Lots of people own these classic speakers and I've never heard of the drivers systematically failing.

Last edited:
Fatmarley,

Thanks for the Post. I could get the exact replacement but only the Old one's (Yamaha stopped replacement drivers a decade back) and these Drivers magnet could slip during transit am avoiding it.

True that no Drivers could replace the original,But am looking for a decent replacement.Anyways will try to use the cabinet with new crossover and Drivers which I feel better option than to sell it off ,as its not easy to find a buyer in India without Original drivers also I love these cabinets :).

Thanks for the Link, will go through and get into a right conclusion.

Fatmarley,

Thanks for the Post. I could get the exact replacement but only the Old one's (Yamaha stopped replacement drivers a decade back) and these Drivers magnet could slip during transit am avoiding it.

True that no Drivers could replace the original,But am looking for a decent replacement.Anyways will try to use the cabinet with new crossover and Drivers which I feel better option than to sell it off ,as its not easy to find a buyer in India without Original drivers also I love these cabinets :).

Thanks for the Link, will go through and get into a right conclusion.

These speaker aren't just some drivers that they had laying around, and they decided to throw out a new model number ns 1000m. Each driver was made for this monitor, and crossed over so they all play nice together. Instead of turning them into Frankenstein and rendering them into junk that nobody will buy.
Part them out at least. But your hodgepodge yamaha ns-Frankenstein ultimately makes mine more valuable. Sell them and buy a pair of the 50 great affordable speaker on the market.

The mids can only be replaced by the ATC's (or Volt) 3"domes. They cost $500 each/ Any other dome mid driver will sound worse and cone mids need their own cabinet and also in general will sound worse than the Yamaha's between 500-5000 Hz. The Yamaha's have better distortion and dispersion figures than any new fancy Scan Speak or Morell.
When you replace the mids you are basically designing a completely new speaker because also the crossover has to be recalculated with different components and layout.

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard the DC300 - I own them in another fisher cabinet. They would outperform the original NS1000 woofer but they will not in the NS1000's cabinet. They need a vented cab, and they are IIRC 90db efficient with rubber surround.

Anyway I have a dead woofer in my NS1000 and worse, I killed the VC as well it looks like. Wondering if I am better off parting it out, I have 1000's of speakers, some even in the league as the NS1000's so I am not looking for a lot of hunting to fit an NS1000 woofer in it.

Cool.
Srinath.

Well the woofers in the NS1000 were not really suited to the sealed box anyway.The Qts is way too low for that.So replacing them with something else more suited to that enclosure might not be a bad move.The trouble being that most 12 inch alternatives are also built to suit ported enclosures.SB acoustics make a 34cm woofer that will work in a sealed box -the SB34NRX I think is the model but the box volume of the Yamaha might be too small.
Personally I think the NS1000 is overrated anyway.The NS75T is much better.That is a truly great sounding Yamaha.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.