Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Yamaha NS 1000 - Drivers Upgrade/Replacement
Yamaha NS 1000 - Drivers Upgrade/Replacement
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2019, 11:16 PM   #11
Jimbo40 is offline Jimbo40  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manivasu View Post
Fatmarley,

Thanks for the Post. I could get the exact replacement but only the Old one's (Yamaha stopped replacement drivers a decade back) and these Drivers magnet could slip during transit am avoiding it.

True that no Drivers could replace the original,But am looking for a decent replacement.Anyways will try to use the cabinet with new crossover and Drivers which I feel better option than to sell it off ,as its not easy to find a buyer in India without Original drivers also I love these cabinets :-).

Thanks for the Link, will go through and get into a right conclusion.
These speaker aren't just some drivers that they had laying around, and they decided to throw out a new model number ns 1000m. Each driver was made for this monitor, and crossed over so they all play nice together. Instead of turning them into Frankenstein and rendering them into junk that nobody will buy.
Part them out at least. But your hodgepodge yamaha ns-Frankenstein ultimately makes mine more valuable. Sell them and buy a pair of the 50 great affordable speaker on the market.
Old 20th June 2019, 02:46 PM   #12
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

This is a little like my 4311/4311b near-pair. Classic JBL! Expensive re-cone!! Oh well...white cones are groovy.
Old 20th June 2019, 03:54 PM   #13
twinter is offline twinter  United States
diyAudio Member

In case you are interested, the Troels Gravesen rebuild of the NS1000:

Yamaha-NS1000
Old 20th June 2019, 04:26 PM   #14
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 Yamaha NS 1000 - Drivers Upgrade/Replacement
You can replace the tweeters with a set of raal 140d ribbons, they're almost a drop in replacement as far as the crossover goes. My own pair use the ns1000 mid and bass drivers and raal ribbons.
Old 22nd June 2019, 11:59 PM   #15
technics sp10 is offline technics sp10  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The mids can only be replaced by the ATC's (or Volt) 3"domes. They cost $500 each/ Any other dome mid driver will sound worse and cone mids need their own cabinet and also in general will sound worse than the Yamaha's between 500-5000 Hz. The Yamaha's have better distortion and dispersion figures than any new fancy Scan Speak or Morell.
When you replace the mids you are basically designing a completely new speaker because also the crossover has to be recalculated with different components and layout.
Old 3rd September 2019, 04:13 PM   #16
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

I have heard the DC300 - I own them in another fisher cabinet. They would outperform the original NS1000 woofer but they will not in the NS1000's cabinet. They need a vented cab, and they are IIRC 90db efficient with rubber surround.

Anyway I have a dead woofer in my NS1000 and worse, I killed the VC as well it looks like. Wondering if I am better off parting it out, I have 1000's of speakers, some even in the league as the NS1000's so I am not looking for a lot of hunting to fit an NS1000 woofer in it.

Cool.
Srinath.
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:30 PM   #17
jtgofish is offline jtgofish
diyAudio Member

Well the woofers in the NS1000 were not really suited to the sealed box anyway.The Qts is way too low for that.So replacing them with something else more suited to that enclosure might not be a bad move.The trouble being that most 12 inch alternatives are also built to suit ported enclosures.SB acoustics make a 34cm woofer that will work in a sealed box -the SB34NRX I think is the model but the box volume of the Yamaha might be too small.
Personally I think the NS1000 is overrated anyway.The NS75T is much better.That is a truly great sounding Yamaha.
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:38 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Would this work for a VC for NS1000 woofer ?

ID: 2.5" 6ohm voice voil for electro voice 30w woofe bass speaker Flat Aluminium | eBay

Cool.
Srinath.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

For DC300 to fit, you'd have to modify the cabinet, IMHO, not a great idea.
Let me look at that SB34NRX
Cool.
Srinath.
Old 5th September 2019, 10:13 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Measuring the VC and google and ebay - Would this work ?
Looks to me like it would.
1pair 66mm Black aluminum Bass voice coil 2Layer copper Round Wire 6ohm 380-500W 310333113385 | eBay

Cool.

Yamaha NS 1000 - Drivers Upgrade/ReplacementHide this!Advertise here!