Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

In Pursuit of a 20-20k Dipole Loudspeaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2019, 01:27 PM   #201
ErikdeBest is online now ErikdeBest  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTR View Post
IIRC I used 100Hz linear phase 1st order Neville-Thiele as provided by the Acourate Toolbox for DSP XOver and room correction package. I actually happened to have an IKEA Poang and the 18" 30cm behind the stool was located at chest-height firing 20° or so upwards as simply established by suspending the driver from two adjacent mounting holes with ropes. From that angle our sensitivity to noise etc is lowest, it seems.
In spite of this, say rather crude, quick&dirty setup I found the result was stunning. Headphone-like bass... but that was a weak point long-term, for most of the music I listen to I prefer the "monopole slam" in the low bass. Plus form-factor and aesthetic reasons made me gave up this route.
something like this?
Attached Images
File Type: png IkeaWoofer.png (101.3 KB, 216 views)
Old 11th January 2019, 02:43 PM   #202
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

No, that would be too close and too low. The speaker was hung from a seperate stand, a heavy mic stand. The armrests for the Poang could be extended to behind the stool and connected with a cross-bar from where the driver hangs down, if you want to go for an "integrated solution" ;-) Might need an added front weight so the Poang doesn't fall over when not occupied...

Last edited by KSTR; 11th January 2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11th January 2019, 08:13 PM   #203
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For sweet-spot-only duty in a small room a near-field OB mono-bass (15"...21" nude is nice for this) mounted behind the seat is also an option and if you couple it to the chair mechanically it doubles up as a shaker (but then maybe better float the chair on dampers). Should give serious impression of very deep bass even down below 20Hz.
Yes.

As you get closer to the source low freq.s elevate in pressure relative to the average AND you get a substantial reduction in non-linear effects AND you get more tactile sensation (..even if you don't physically couple the driver's frame to your chair's frame and "float" the chair).

Plus of course you don't need as much spl, with lower overall "noise" (modal-booming/droning) means it's a bit less of a problem with regard to near-rooms and neighbors.

As long as you aren't looking for the absolute in lower freq. soundstage, a well-setup nearfield low-freq. monopole is close to perfection (for a single listener).

If you want the best in soundstage there are two solutions, one of which is the nearfield stereo dipole with enough cancellation in pressure for a head-shading effect.

Last edited by ScottG; 11th January 2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11th January 2019, 08:34 PM   #204
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No, that would be too close and too low.
Why too close?
Old 12th January 2019, 04:30 AM   #205
cowanaudio is offline cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Yes.

As you get closer to the source low freq.s elevate in pressure relative to the average AND you get a substantial reduction in non-linear effects AND you get more tactile sensation (..even if you don't physically couple the driver's frame to your chair's frame and "float" the chair).

Plus of course you don't need as much spl, with lower overall "noise" (modal-booming/droning) means it's a bit less of a problem with regard to near-rooms and neighbors.
Absolutely, and it will give you some of the best quality bass you will ever hear indoors. Interestingly a dipoles response flattens out as you get closer to the source. Many dipole bass speakers will need no eq to flatten the bottom end.

Quote:
As long as you aren't looking for the absolute in lower freq. soundstage, a well-setup nearfield low-freq. monopole is close to perfection (for a single listener).
A second or third listener is easy to accommodate, just add a second or third nearfield sub.

Quote:
If you want the best in soundstage there are two solutions, one of which is the nearfield stereo dipole with enough cancellation in pressure for a head-shading effect.
"Low frequency sound stage" does not exist in small rooms and I doubt it even exists in big ones. Ever tried switching stereo subs crossed at 80Hz or below to mono? I can't detect a difference.
Old 12th January 2019, 04:58 AM   #206
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowanaudio View Post

"Low frequency sound stage" does not exist in small rooms and I doubt it even exists in big ones. Ever tried switching stereo subs crossed at 80Hz or below to mono? I can't detect a difference.
Oh, but it does.

I gave one means of producing it, and its NOT just about mitigating room effects. (..and I also gave the reason why.) Of course room/modal effects are also well below the average as well in such a setup.
Old 12th January 2019, 05:12 AM   #207
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
Then I click the icon that looks like a blue mop head (I have no idea what it is supposed to be)
I always figured it was an ice cream cone that would "freeze" the curve.
Old 12th January 2019, 05:31 AM   #208
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Years ago there was a thread on AudioCircle by someone who built a slot loaded sub to go right behind his sofa. Plenty of bass and didn't bother the neighbors. Clever!
Old 12th January 2019, 05:48 AM   #209
cowanaudio is offline cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Here:
Neighbor friendly dipole sub
Old 12th January 2019, 07:45 AM   #210
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Of course in nearfield there won't be any dipole cancellation, you will hear (or measure) better response. And of course there won't be reflections or modes etc. because the direct sound is masking them.

But these aspects are not relevant when Charlie wants to make just a stereo pair of multiway dipole speakers. Building a home theater room would give opportunity to IB subwoofers and 7-15 in-wall speakrs, shakers etc. fancy cadgets. This system is in my home town, but I don't know the guy.

I have been considering dipole woofer units for many years naturally, at least to find out the difference to monopole unit. I would need a pair of them to find out how stereo works in my room with them. Now I anxiously wait to hear impressions from Charlie!

In Pursuit of a 20-20k Dipole LoudspeakerHide this!Advertise here!