4-way speaker system with multiple small wide-range drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This DIY loudspeaker system experiments with multiple small wide-range transducers in a multiway configuration. The idea is to join good directional characteristics to coherence and power handling. Another goal is to improve timing by controlling the phase with FIR filters. Please follow this link:

The Magical Number Seven, Plus Two

Attachments

• JdM12_2018_Right.jpg
    JdM12_2018_Right.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Very interesting and great to see some creativity in the approach you took. I'm very curious if you compared your 4 way approach with a three way approach like tekton does. Theirs provides symmetrical directivity control much like a waveguide. I would expect some unfavorable things in the vertical vs horizontal polar responses with your design. Thanks for sharing! Craig

Thanks for your interest, Craig. It seems that the Tekton array uses one tweeter for the high frequencies and six for the mid-range. The resonance of these 1" ring domes being around 650 Hz, one can guess their operating range. In contrast, my 7 drives 3-way virtual coaxial speaker is wide range with a subwoofer crossover at 123 Hz. As for the polar response, I assume it resembles a MTM configuration but with linear phase filters. It seems also that there is some beneficial directivity in the low frequencies that counteracts the baffle step. Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.