Recommendations requsted for open baffle two way (1st build)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

I am looking to build my first loudspeakers, originally looking at a full range system I am now thinking of a simple open baffle two way design. Most important factors are ease of build (woodworking and electronic perspectives) and as good as possible quality at low volumes. In terms of sound, I only listen at low volume levels, so from what i gather, high efficiency drivers are optimum for this. I am not too much interested in accurate sound reproduction, but enjoy realism (sorry, cant think of a better audiophile term), again all at low listening levels.

As this is my first project, I am thinking of an open baffle design with 2 drivers: a woofer and a mid/top driver, with a stock (off the shelf requiring no building) crossover. I am ok with spending a little more on a crossover that comes ready built and includes some sort of DSP that i can tinker with.

I see that a lot of the discussion here relates to the theory (which I am most enjoying) but I wonder if somebody could guide me on the more practical aspects of a build, with a component shopping list (of course backed by theory!) in terms of which drivers, crossovers (DSP?) and tools i would need (soldering iron, router etc).

Any help greatly appreciated, budget all in is $500 tops. Although I am in Europe so components would need to be available worldwide.

Thanks for reading.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.