Best 15 inch woofer for my system

Good day
I’m building 3 way system :
Hf- faital hf10ak+ sth100
Mid- radian 950 + k402 horn
And LF i can’t choose between AE TD15M and Faital 15pr400
There is faital dealer in my country, so i can buy pair of 15pr400 for 460 usd
AE is 750usd for pair + 300 usd shipping to Ukraine with tax
I can pay the difference between them but i need to know does it worth it?
Are AE woofers much better?
Thanks in advance and happy New Year!

Hello,

why should AE units be any better, because of the price difference? To me Faitals look wonderful on the paper and the measurements are available. AE appears as if they have something to hide.

I don't know
There are so many people talking that AE are the best woofers available...
Price difference is not a problem, I just want to find a reason to pay more and wait twice as much for AE

AE woofers are considered to have remarkably low distortion in their extended passband because of well designed motor with lots of copper in right place. But they are too delicate and weak to pair with your other transducers and they are better to audiophile type stuff like dipoles, ribbons etc.. Both physically and acoustically. Whole different world to durable, large dynamics pro woofers. You will save lot of money also.

Resistors are bad. Every time I say that, someone poops on me. Yes there are resistors in a pre amp and amp, but they are not always in the signal path.

Resistors (L-pads) degrade the sound. This is my opinion, ymmv.

I use the AE woofers, and they are spectacular. However; padding down the mid and tweeter to match the woofer?

Go with woofers with sensitivities approaching the other drivers. You will need two pairs.

Here we go: tube amplifiers LOVE higher impedances. If you go with a pair per side, wire them in series, your amplifier will thank you. There was a time when drivers where 500 ohms. That wasn't a mistype.

Yes there are resistors in a pre amp and amp, but they are not always in the signal path.

There are always resistors in the signal path.
Seriously, take a look at the schematic for any microphone preamp, and then consider the mixing desk as a whole - all those tone controls, and then all the signals have to be summed for a stereo mix before going through some final processing.

NB - condenser mics always have a bit of circuitry inside, and there are usually resistors there, too!

However, resistors at line-levels are far more benign than resistors at speaker-level IMO.
Speaker level resistors will actually see some power, with the thermal fluctuations associated with that. And then there's the loss of damping factor etc etc.

FWIW, I haven't used the Faital Pro drivers in question, but I've worked with a few of their products and they've always sounded decent.

Chris

Pro driver choice

Hi Andrew,

Here is another alternative to the Faital Pro, the Precision Devices 15 inch features ultra low power compression, low Mms / high Bl, legendary build quality and proven reliability.

The attached sim shows it with both 500 watts and 100 watts in a sealed 65 litre box with a Qof 0.5.

Good luck and happy new year in a few hours!
Cheers
Alex.

Attachments

• PD 1550 subwoofer.pdf
    99.4 KB · Views: 342
I have 2 PD154
and 2 Fane 15XS

both have big 4" VC

the PD154 shall be better than Fane as:
BL is higher
mms is lower
Qes is lower
similar FS

yet the Fane pull ahead subjectively
Measured distortion also favor the fane

Actually, I'm buying more fane (awaiting delivery) and will go 4x per side

Can't speak about the faitalpro 15inchers, just used their sth100 horn and a JMLC profile beat it...

Hi Andrew,

Here is another alternative to the Faital Pro, the Precision Devices 15 inch features ultra low power compression, low Mms / high Bl, legendary build quality and proven reliability.

The attached sim shows it with both 500 watts and 100 watts in a sealed 65 litre box with a Qof 0.5.

Good luck and happy new year in a few hours!
Cheers
Alex.
It isn't available in my country

Resistors are bad. Every time I say that, someone poops on me. Yes there are resistors in a pre amp and amp, but they are not always in the signal path.

Resistors (L-pads) degrade the sound. This is my opinion, ymmv.

I use the AE woofers, and they are spectacular. However; padding down the mid and tweeter to match the woofer?

Go with woofers with sensitivities approaching the other drivers. You will need two pairs.

Here we go: tube amplifiers LOVE higher impedances. If you go with a pair per side, wire them in series, your amplifier will thank you. There was a time when drivers where 500 ohms. That wasn't a mistype.
But if i wire woofers in series sensitivity will decrease and i will have to increase attention level
What is your recommendation in my situation (already have 8ohm radians)
Both hf10ak and 15pr400 available only in 4 and 8 ohm
Can i pair two parallel connected 8 ohms woofers with 8ohm tweeter and squawker?

Last edited:
My vote: BMS 15n850V2.

Tested by Vance Dickason of Voice Coil. Exceptional state of the art performance, younger cousin to the legendary BMS18n862. Expensive? Yes.

Get it from Lean: 404 Not Found

Excellent measurements: https://pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/15_Mfrs_Publications/40_Voice_Coil/2012/2012_1_Jan.pdf

Here is the moral. If your driver hasn’t been tested by a 3rd party, then what do you know? Nothing. Just meaningless subjective reviews. The nice thing about Pro companies like BMS, B&C (also exceptional!), 18Sound, Faital Pro, La Voce is they have stringent requirements and they have Klippel testing as well. Most have been 3rd party tested too. See Voice Coil magazine for examples.

As much as I like AE speakers on paper, I see no testing. Only advertising. The only driver in their arsenal that looks good to me is their 18 inch design. It was tested by Databass but Josh Ricci did not publish the data (that I can find).

Best,
Anand.

Last edited:
My vote: BMS 15n850V2.

Tested by Vance Dickason of Voice Coil. Exceptional state of the art performance, younger cousin to the legendary BMS18n862.

Get it from Lean: 404 Not Found

Exceptional measurements: https://pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/15_Mfrs_Publications/40_Voice_Coil/2012/2012_1_Jan.pdf

Here is the moral. If your driver hasn’t been tested by a 3rd party, then what do you know? Nothing. Just meaningless subjective reviews. The nice thing about Pro companies like BMS, B&C (also exceptional!), 18Sound, Faital Pro, La Voce is they have extraordinary stringent requirements and they have Klippel testing as well. Most have been 3rd party tested too. See Voice Coil magazine for examples.

As much as I like AE speakers on paper, I see no testing. Only advertising. The only driver in their arsenal that looks good to me is their 18 inch design. It was tested by Databass but Josh Ricci did not publish the data (that I can find).

Best,
Anand.
Thanks for your reply
It looks nice, but sensitivity is too low
And i need best possible performance from 600Hz@2order and down
If it will be necessary i will add active bass section

Reactions: 1 user
Let's use 15 watts as our starting point.

Solid State amp;
15w into 8 ohms, 30w into 4 ohms, 60w into 2 ohms. Looks good. Parallel connection gets more power.
Let's move in the other direction;
15w into 8 ohms, 7.5w into 16 ohms, 3.75w into 32 ohms, 1.875w into 64 ohms. Series is very bad for solid state amps. Question: what is the impedance at FS (100 ohms)? Please remember FS might rise once in box (100 ohms at 40Hz?).

Tube amplifier;
15w into 8 ohms, 7.5w into 4 ohms (not exactly true, but you do lose power with low impedances).
The other direction:
15w into 8 ohms, 20w into 16 ohms, 20w into 32 ohms, 20w into 64 ohms etc.

As you might now realize, what you've been told, is for solid state amps.

Try it out. Buy one pair, build a crappy quick test box, test.

Last edited:
Let's use 15 watts as our starting point.

Solid State amp;
15w into 8 ohms, 30w into 4 ohms, 60w into 2 ohms. Looks good. Parallel connection gets more power.
Let's move in the other direction;
15w into 8 ohms, 7.5w into 16 ohms, 3.75w into 32 ohms, 1.875w into 64 ohms. Parallel is very bad for solid state amps. Question: what is the impedance at FS? Please remember FS might rise once in box.

Tube amplifier;
15w into 8 ohms, 7.5w into 4 ohms (not exactly true, but you do lose power with low impedances.
The other direction:
15w into 8 ohms, 20w into 16 ohms, 20w into 32 ohms, etc.

As you might have realize, what you've been told, is for solid state amps.

Try it out. Buy one pair, build a crappy quick test box, test.
It is interesting
I didn’t know that, thanks!
Need to read more about this
So if i have 8ohm tweeter and 8ohm squawker and i’ll connect them to two 8ohm woofers in series,i will use less attenuation with tube amp?

Last edited: