To Heil AMT or not to Heil at $140, that is the question?

Does anyone know if the data is mixed up on esslabs web pages?

The smaller AMT-3 has a lower recommended co-point (1000 Hz) then the bigger AMT-2 (2000Hz).
The AMT-1 seems to be "normal" at 800 Hz.

I have tried to email (over 4 weeks now) Esslabs about this, but hasn't succeeding getting an answer.

Does anyone know if the data is mixed up on esslabs web pages?

The smaller AMT-3 has a lower recommended co-point (1000 Hz) then the bigger AMT-2 (2000Hz).
The AMT-1 seems to be "normal" at 800 Hz.

I have tried to email (over 4 weeks now) Esslabs about this, but hasn't succeeding getting an answer.

I noticed that too. I think it's a mistake. If you look at the 8" AMT Series speaker it states the small Heil crossed at 2k. Then the 10" Series says the medium Heil crossed at 1k.

Got my pair up and running in a bi-amp set-up with a notch to tame the peak at 5K. Using a JBL M552 at 850/900 24db L/R into a pair Crown PS-200's Using JBL 121A's as woofers. Really nice combo. I can see why people like the Heils as much as they do. Well worth the money great bang for your buck!

They sound really nice and the overall balance in the room makes it so you can move around and enjoy them. Image just kinda floats big open sound and very dynamic as well.

Ended up getting the mounting kits they have angled pads to tilt the heils up a bit and all the mounting hardware.

Rob:)

Attachments

• 20190303_100922.jpg
    20190303_100922.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:
I'm using mine over a RS225 crossed @ 1.2k bi-amped (Crown XLS) using miniDSP 4x10 with a high shelf setting @ 5k -5dB. I'm really happy how they sound. I also regret not getting a 2nd pair :D Still, at $170 the current price, a good deal.

I would think you are losing a lot of 'sparkle' with a shelf that low. I'm also using a MiniDSP .. I put in a narrow 3dB dip at 5KHz and then a slight high shelf starting around 12KHz.

There seems to be quite a descepency amongst differing measurements of this driver ie: some show dips at 5k while other show up sloping with peaking at that frequency including even more a convoluted response shown by a project a Dennis Murphy did for Salk requiring quite a bit of component shaping. I’m holding up on trying these until there is a more unifying consensus.

New guy here with questions. Have missed my ESS Heils since I gave them up in the 80s (young regretted stupidity stirs). You guys have lit my Heil fire so I'm looking for help and direction. I've been debating buying new ESS speakers but I've got it in my mind that I can get a better speaker with a custom build. I'm not a DIY'er and want to find out what will work best and have a cabinet/speaker builder do a custom build.

...or should I just buy new ESS speakers?

I want them for my home theater L/R. I'm thinking I want a taller low end box with a 12 inch front ported tall enough to get the Heil centered at about 42"high. I need them to behave and perform well in corner placement. I've heard mention that Altec 416s, JBL 123s or even some other high end full range drivers are the way to go with the great Heil.

Love what you guys are doing and appreciate your thoughts and direction. Thanks

I had quite extensive contact with the entire Heil AMT line

Soft, very soft in general, do not fatigue at all ..

But if you want middle range that has attack and realism, ;) some good transducer well crossed (3 ways) should be added ...

My experience goes from PS2 to AMT6 .....

Attachments

• inmaculados-bafles-parlantes-ess-ps-8a-tweeter-heil-hbaudio-D_NQ_NP_672381-MLA29220714759_012019.jpg
    inmaculados-bafles-parlantes-ess-ps-8a-tweeter-heil-hbaudio-D_NQ_NP_672381-MLA29220714759_012019.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 657
  • ess2_med.jpeg
    ess2_med.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 664
  • 157008.jpg
    157008.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
Maybe it is a mistake of the translator, maybe it is a wrong word (wrong concept?) that several have mentioned here, but I think it is pertinent to clarify the point. :)

It's not a proper tape tweeter

" The Heil AMT uses a folded pleated Mylar diaphragm of a mere 0.0005" thickness (made where the 21st century SI units have yet to make an impact). The signal passes through a conductive aluminium layer, just like a ribbon tweeter, but deposited on the pleated Mylar like the loops of the serpent (the old musical instrument with the cornet style mouthpiece)."

[Review] ESS Heil Air Motion Transformer - [English]

I had quite extensive contact with the entire Heil AMT line

Soft, very soft in general, do not fatigue at all ..

But if you want middle range that has attack and realism, ;) some good transducer well crossed (3 ways) should be added ...

My experience goes from PS2 to AMT6 .....

Appreciated input, How would you execute that? A low end box partitioned for a midrange? What drivers would you recommend. And back to one of my original questions especially to folks with your ESS experience....is it worth my effort to do a high end build compared to just getting one of the new ESS speakers? I know that's subjective, but the input here is invaluable.

I read about "leaks" and dips in some of the great Heil production runs/models, but I'm not getting that from the German info (reference Fenalaar and Wallacefl posts above).

If there are obvious issues in it's lower frequencies, why would ESS lower the cutoff on their newer great Heils to 800hz? Pure Audio Project is now using the great Heil cut off below 1000hz and I believe the Swiss company making the original Oskar Heil design are cutting them off lower too. That has to raise some curiosity...especially here of all places.

I'm inclined to, and would like to believe that ESS who owns the rights and controls production probably knows a few more details/production tweaks and spec' improvements made to the latest production runs. ESS has never been a company that goes on and on about the details of endless tweaks, changes and improvements they make...while many other companies seem to spend endlessly on marketing such info.

Well the original AMT 1 used an 18dB 800hZ crossover point. I am using 24dB L/R active at 850Hz. When I measured mine they had a rising response and issues well below that as far a lower crossover point.

650Hz? Based on what I measured it looks possible. Upper trace raw measurement.

Rob:)

Attachments

• Heil%20Frequency%20Response.jpg
    Heil%20Frequency%20Response.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 596