Turning a 2-way into a 3-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don`t like parallel notches in general. I think they degrade the sound too much.

There is another solution but will likely cost me like EUR 50 if it fails :D The phase shield is added to prevent an acoustic null at around the same frequency typical for hard domes. I think that if I cut it off it might solve the problem, or create another one.

The phase shield is not there to prevent the dome resonance. Sound travels at much higher speed in aluminium than in air. The outskirts of the dome radiate in opposite polarity to the center of the dome at some high frequency, for this one I think its around 14-15Khz and this causes a deep dip (null) in its response. The phase shield solves this but in this case it may be unnecessary. Until I cut it off, I won`t know unfortunately...

Not only to mitigate some of the effects of a dome resinances, but in Seas it does some of that as well. My post was meant if the resonance becomes visible or worse when you remove the phase shield. Other positive sides of removing the phase shield and treating the dome resonances are also explained. Check the Tafal loudspeaker and its writeup. Measurements of Seas before and after the removal of it.

Tonfeile Tafal - Selbstbau Lautsprecher - Visaton Al 130 - Seas TAF 27 - Frank-Landmesser.de

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.