Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Telefunken TFK6006 50ohm Lpads
Telefunken TFK6006 50ohm Lpads
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2018, 10:22 PM   #21
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the photos! I can see why you don't want to spend too much money on getting these working.

Need to know exactly where all those coloured wires go!
Old 27th December 2018, 04:46 AM   #22
Raccoon1400 is offline Raccoon1400  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post

Well, you took the photo from the wrong side (photo 4), it would really help to see the connection side of the pads and the capacitor(s) and the soldering points of them and the wires. The woofers are definitely not the original ones btw.

The Harman Kardon receiver is very nice!
Here's another picture. Looks like whoever was in here before bypassed the mid pot in this speaker already. The jumper wire is placed across the breaker as it was when I tested with the ohm meter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4761.jpg (932.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 27th December 2018, 03:13 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I would be inclined to disconnect the level controls and reset device completely and start afresh with a rewire of the system, including new midrange and tweeter capacitors.

If found necessary after listening to the result of the rewire, suitable wirewound resistors may be inserted in series with the midrange and tweeters to reduce their level by the required amount.
Old 27th December 2018, 07:27 PM   #24
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
I would be inclined to disconnect the level controls and reset device completely and start afresh with a rewire of the system, including new midrange and tweeter capacitors.

If found necessary after listening to the result of the rewire, suitable wirewound resistors may be inserted in series with the midrange and tweeters to reduce their level by the required amount.
I wholehartedly support that statement. A completely new designed crossover can (probably actually would) result in a much improved sound. However, the speakers aren't original anymore and there seems to be no desire to achieve the best possible sound, a 'bang for the buck' solution would be appropriate. To disable the l-pad and try the best of some resistor combinations seems to be the most promising path to go. I don't really like it but it has to be accepted the customers expectations have to be met.
Old 1st January 2019, 04:16 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
I wholehartedly support that statement. A completely new designed crossover can (probably actually would) result in a much improved sound. However, the speakers aren't original anymore and there seems to be no desire to achieve the best possible sound, a 'bang for the buck' solution would be appropriate. To disable the l-pad and try the best of some resistor combinations seems to be the most promising path to go. I don't really like it but it has to be accepted the customers expectations have to be met.
Maybe build some new cabinets and throw in some new drivers after rebuilding the crossover too

Anyway, here's a drawing of the wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4763.jpg (945.7 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Raccoon1400; 1st January 2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old 1st January 2019, 04:58 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Nice simple circuit! Just go for new caps, a full rewire and add level resistors later if necessary.

There will be lots of overlap between the drivers which will result in a lively sound which may actually be fun to listen to!

No speaker system is perfect and this is a prime example!
Old 1st January 2019, 08:35 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
Nice simple circuit! Just go for new caps, a full rewire and add level resistors later if necessary.

There will be lots of overlap between the drivers which will result in a lively sound which may actually be fun to listen to!

No speaker system is perfect and this is a prime example!
I think I figured out the DCR issue. Had some + and - reversed. The - wire that connects all the drivers is red! Drawing it out helped me figure that out.
Old 1st January 2019, 08:44 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon1400 View Post
The - wire that connects all the drivers is red!
Nothing should surprise us regarding these speakers it would appear!
Old 11th January 2019, 03:55 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I got these working and sent them home. Budget didn't allow me to do as much as I could have, most of it was spent getting the woofers refoamed properly.
Old 11th January 2019, 04:09 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon1400 View Post
I got these working and sent them home.
Thanks for the update. I notice you didn't comment on the sound quality - maybe that says a lot!

Telefunken TFK6006 50ohm LpadsHide this!Advertise here!