plans for 16 ohm speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I've been looking for plans for a speaker that is easy to drive. 12-16 ohm.

I would like to keep it fairly compact, I am space limited, and would even love to keep it as a bookshelf/monitor.

I haven't come across anything, is anyone aware of something suitable.

Fairly efficient would be a plus, 90db or better.

16 ohm drivers are almost exclusively available from professional loudspeaker manufacturers, who also offer high sensitivity.

P.S. As most drivers in commercial speakers these days are 4 ohm, you would be shooting high enough by choosing 8 ohm drivers.

Of course you could always use two small 8 ohm drivers connected in series!

Last edited:
Smearing the line between pro and consumer usage are drivers from PHL Audio. Several years ago I used their 1240 16 ohms 6.5" drivers in a MTM monitor. These 92 db sensitivity woofers were connected in parallel and matched well with mid 90's Aurum Cantus G2 ribbons.

PHL Audio's current offerings show a 16 ohms 8" driver with 94.5 dB sensitivity which would be interesting for an efficient woofer.

Does anyone run 8 ohm drivers in series?
Running 8 ohm drivers in series is fairly common in PA systems.
The higher impedance requires larger coil values and smaller capacitor values, but there are no sonic drawbacks.
Low frequency sensitivity remains the same as one driver, the 3 dB loss of voltage sensitivity is compensated by the 3 dB increase due to larger cone area, assuming double the cabinet volume compared to a single.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.