2-way speaker with Decca London tweeter and 8" Audax woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to build a pair of 2-way speakers using Decca London ribbon tweeters and 8" Audax hd20b25h-c12 woofers.
The crossover (attached here) is at 1500 Hz and used before in speakers using these tweeters.

This is the first time I will attempt to build speaker cabinets, so I appreciate any fundamental tips/ideas.
What program can I use to estimate an appropriate sealed box volume, or can I simply refer to the volume of brand speakers that use this woofer? I have the Thiele parameters.
Also, are there significant differences if the horn tweeter is placed inside the cabinet, or mounted freely on top? That way I only have to worry about building the box around the woofer.

Attachments

• ribfilt.gif
    ribfilt.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 745
  • deccabox_front.jpg
    deccabox_front.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 752
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In the late ‘70s i got a chance to go to town on a set od Decca prototypes with the Decca London (one of my favorite tweeters all-time), with 8” paper cone woofers. We treated the drivers, rewired, and braced the enclosure. In the day — driven by NAIM 160 w Linn TT — one of the most enjoyable speakers i had heard. XO was at 1000 Hz, no memory of the XO configuration except that it was 2nd order i think.

The hi-pass in your network is one commonly used, i have it from another source.

dave

Hello again,
The original driver Audax HD20B25H2CP12 was good for a quarter wave type of box or similar vented box as the original.
If you speak French you can use the help of Petoin Dominique.fr software/website.
The tweeter with horn likely will need to be padded from the woofer much lower approx. 87 dB (Audax).
With new data for the drivers modified/upgraded (likely different surrounds from the original, unless they are identical) you and us can estimate much better an adequate box size and type instead of guessing work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.