Silly fun with driver magnets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It has a very expensive 99% efficient "Alnico cylinder inside a forged iron core" assembly, (almost) fully shielded.

While typical "open path" ceramic rings waste 40% or more "outside" the magnet assembly ... what we check here.

If I were you, I would keep the old workhorse ... for "sentimental reasons" at least ;)

No, definitely not.
Au Contraire Charles
The kind of ride he is talking of is a vertical free-fall thingie.
No misunderstanding, I believe they're called Drop Rides
No unreliable moving mechanical parts for the brake system needed.
What is unreliable about a pneumatic braking system? Provided cable stretch is monitored, I dare say there is no safer or more reliable braking system. Why complicate the issue, or introduce seeming unnecessary costs with magnets?
It is "always on" so to say.
As is the P brake.

not sure how to implement a cable on a roller coaster

The magnet brakes are really nice. Designed one once for a sled that rode on air along a granite beam. Mag braking was compact, no moving parts, and easily tuned by size/shape of mags and "eddy blade"

Besides dont some woofers use this principle to control over excursion?

not sure how to implement a cable on a roller coaster
Nor would I. We were discussing drop rides. Magnet drive and brake systems are great for horizontal.
You guys are getting close. Screw the driver face in to a wall and use it for holding screwdrivers, screws and other metal objects.
And on the side of your fridge. You can hold an entire year worth of bills with just one magnet. :)
But don't use those screwdrivers on any tape deck!
True, but after a couple months you can use them on slot screws are the tip is now magnetized.

You meant "Quit screwing around!"
I am having some 'guy' time. Michael and I have a history. Albeit short each time, it's always a good one. If he showed up at 3am on my doorstep, with blood on his hands, a suspicious looking knife and no excuse, I would welcome him in and allow him my spare bed. I would get him drunk and wait till he fell asleep before calling the homicide squad. He's that kind of friend to me.

More useful: everyone who hasn't tried it should pull the Nd magnets from broken hard drives. 3.5" > laptop disks.
Or get really close, and neglect to get your finger out of the way before that magnet wants to make love with the steel side of your fridge.

IMG_5414.jpg
Here’s my contribution to the festivities

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.