Denim Insulation Anyone??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I get my 'felt' from a friend who's an upolsterer.
His 'off the peg' stuff goes from 1/4" to 3" (the thick stuff can be teased apart to make two thinner panels) and then there's some stuff that looks and feels like long fleece, soft as kittens fur. The fibres are stitched together so it has just enough backing to hold together and goes well over the more solid feeling 1/4 - 1/2".

Well I got my 1.8" x 16" x 48" roll of denim insulation. It definitely expanded to the specified dimension of 1.8 inches. In fact its a good 2 inches thick. It does compress nicely so I can probably use it in this thickness in a couple of locations.

I am experimenting to see if I can cut it into 1 inch thickness. I believe I could do this if I had a straight razor but no such luck. I am going to get a pair of really good scissors and see if they will work. I believe they will.

That said, if I can't use it, I can stick with the egg crate foam because it works well.

Anyone have any reasons why the 1" thick denim wouldn't work? I have just about no experience with building speakers.

Frost King has denim insulation 1" x 16" x 48" which is most likely made by UltraTouch - they use the same picture on the package. However, the one review i saw on ebay said it was only 1/2" thick not 1".

Attachments

• s-l1600(2).jpg
    s-l1600(2).jpg
    135 KB · Views: 137
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.