Denim Insulation Anyone??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there much demand for denim insulation?

I'd like to try denim insulation to line a set of cabinets I've built but the least I can order from HD is 6 rolls. Although its cheap ($36-38) I don't want 5 rolls of insulation laying around forever. I already have eggcrate foam to line the cabinets so a purchase is not essential.

If I could give the leftovers away locally or get rid of them on ebay I'd try it. On ebay I would have to get around $18 a roll to cover my costs, locally I'd give them away. Locally, this winter is in northwest Phoenix. Summer is Loveland, CO.

Any thoughts?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I love it. Had some friends here recommend it, I saw it and heard it. Yes, the problem is that for the thick batts, you have to order so much more than needed for speakers. For small speakers I've used the small rolls that come in a bundle from Home Depot. Lowes now carry it too, I think.

I bought the box of 6 from Home Depot. It is OK, but not as great as I had hoped. It is a bit dusty when working with it. Smells a bit like cigarette smoke. I have tried acoustic foam as well. I am now back to fiberglass. I found that when I pack it tightly to get the density up, it did the best in the small sealed enclosures I've built lately. Of course working with fiberglass is bad, gloves and mask recommended.

I also had heard good things about denim insulation, and wanted to try it as a less hazardous alternative to glass fiber, so (several years ago) picked up a bale of the UltraTouch brand (R19) in stock at Menard's - a bit pricey compared to fiberglass, but for speaker cabinets a bale goes a long way. I found the acoustic performance to be very satisfactory, but - as mentioned by the previous poster - surprisingly dusty while cutting and handling. I speculated that this might be due to the added fire retardent, since this material is inherently combustible. Currently leaning towards Roxul Safe-N-Sound (a mineral wool-based, I believe; acoustic insulation) as a better solution.

If you want full absorption, Roxul is really the best bet. It is not porous or open enough to not take up volume as polyfil, Ultratouch, and Acoustistuf are. It also is quite an itchy product, also known as rock-wool.

I think the brand Menards stocks is Bonded Logic. Bonded Logic is less dusty, a bit denser packed, and just as effective as UT.

Later,
Wolf

Is there much demand for denim insulation?

I'd like to try denim insulation to line a set of cabinets I've built but the least I can order from HD is 6 rolls. Although its cheap ($36-38) I don't want 5 rolls of insulation laying around forever. I already have eggcrate foam to line the cabinets so a purchase is not essential.

If I could give the leftovers away locally or get rid of them on ebay I'd try it. On ebay I would have to get around $18 a roll to cover my costs, locally I'd give them away. Locally, this winter is in northwest Phoenix. Summer is Loveland, CO.

Any thoughts?
Keep your pants on

I used to use denim sheets that were about 1/2" thick. I worked at Honda and they were used as padding in shipping crates that housed motorcycles. I think it was (is?) also available as carpet padding by the yard. Much easier to work with the smaller thickness and quantity. I use fiberglass now since I had trouble finding the 1/2" thick denim last time I looked.

I used to use denim sheets that were about 1/2" thick. I worked at Honda and they were used as padding in shipping crates that housed motorcycles. I think it was (is?) also available as carpet padding by the yard. Much easier to work with the smaller thickness and quantity. I use fiberglass now since I had trouble finding the 1/2" thick denim last time I looked.

Did you find 1/2 inch thick to be enough? The stuff I have coming is supposed to be 1.8 inches but others have said that it is compressed quite a bit.

How did you attach it to the sides of the cabinets?

I usually lined all of the interior walls except the baffle with it and it was plenty. It can always be doubled up if desired.

I used a T50 and 1/2" staples spaced every ~4-5 inches.

Did you find 1/2 inch thick to be enough? The stuff I have coming is supposed to be 1.8 inches but others have said that it is compressed quite a bit.

How did you attach it to the sides of the cabinets?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Up here we could only get insulation in 3 & 5” thicknesses (for 2x4 or 2x6 framed walls — and it plumps up to specified), whereas the felt comes in a couple densities. The nicest felt is notcurrently made, but the next down is pretty good — we use it for lining walls in our miniOnkens. At one point Bob (original CSS) checked to see if they could make more, but he said the quantity required was prohibitive.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.