No bass with Scanspeak 26w8534g00

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I understand... So better to change the woofer

But it should fit the hole for the 26w or so.. And work properly in 110lt...best if it fits also overall 272mm diameter to mantain the hole (also bigger but not smaller).

Any suggestions?

For around 100l, the best pro woofer size is usually 15". Maybe some 12" or two 10".

I don't say that only a pro woofer can have real punch, but have you ever heard a pro sound system with lack of punch? And this is not only at high SPL, even at lower levels the sound is clearly more punchy.
Of course midrange and treble with good integration is important but for good bass the woofer is the main factor IME.

Is there a possibility to measure the free air woofer impedance and TSP to compare against manufacturer ones? I have not seen one here yet and I would very much like to be able to do that. Thank you.

These are my measured TSP

Fs 22.80 Hz Re 5.70 Ohm Qms 9.12 Qes 0.39 Sd 350.0 cm2 Vas 168.0 l Xmax peak 6.00 mm (Le) 0.96 mH SPL at 1 W 1 m 88.9 dB SPL at 2.83 Vrms 1m 90.2 dB Max SPL at 80 W 107.9 dB Qts 0.374 Effective Qts 0.387 Mms 49.90 g Cms 0.976 mm/N Rms 0.784 kg/s Bl 10.22 Tm Ref. efficiency, n0 0.491 % Efficiency, n 0.474 % Applied voltage 21.35 Vrms Piston range 520 Hz

In my opinion this woofer is too delicate for having well defined bass, motor is too weak and its linear displacement is too low. You're asking too much out of it. What is more, the box is tuned too low and port radiation peak falls over borders of hearing frequency so it is just useless, inefficient and it is just a waste of already tiny resources of this woofer. You can make the port shorter in order to bring tuning frequency a bit higher but this will be only marginal help. Graphs from sims software are only the hints, true problem lies in the woofer itself.

I would have to work with realistic frd and zma files in order to evaluate this loudspeaker and now I can only suggest to try to invert the polarity on woofer terminal and hear if that would make an improvement.

If the OP's measurements are correct, the crossover is following acoustical LR2 topology.
At xo point the sum is exactly 6dB more than the individual driver responses. If you flip the polarity on woofer in this situation you get a big null in the lower midrange.

But maybe it worth a try.

Last edited:
I found the ciare HW321 as a possible substitution..

12 inch
Qts 0.33
Vas 200lts
Bl 14
Fs 27hz

Do you agree?

I did not heard this driver, but on paper it looks much better.
The 110l vented box tuned around 30Hz is near ideal for this woofer.
The linear xmax is not so much but this is a 12 inch woofer and it needs to move far less than a 10 incher.
Looks really good indeed.

A simulation based on manufacturer data and OP's filter

I guess it could be concluded, if I'm not mistaken, that the crossover filter is causing the issue. Good luck with the mods.

Attachments

• sim w+mid.jpg
    sim w+mid.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 184
I dont know what datas you used but, ok!

Would you give me some help? Please... Thanks

It looks like you did not accounted for any baffle step loss in you crossover. What is the baffle dimensions?

Lojzek's simulation looks realistic if you have the usual rectangular box speaker.

But then below 100Hz there is usually some room gain. An inroom response would be great from the listening position.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.