Big Speaker Project, 18” + 10” + CD/horn, super tweeter

Been a while since I updated.

We just moved from the house to a condo in Hawaii Kai closer to the ocean. The Living room is smaller, 16’ x 14’ than the house and the floor is carpeted. Happier with the sound.

First setup at the condo I had the speakers oriented with the mid/tweeters to the outside. At Troel’s suggestion I swapped them, a think a little cleaner sound.

I have to say it’s hard to beat the dynamics and effortless presentation, both at high and low volume. The price of admission is the cabinet size.

I know my wife would prefer my Ekta’s, and to be honest, I would too if based on size alone. But she lets me be me and I can’t give up the better presentation, so they are here to stay!

Here are a couple pics of the latest setup. I still need to get some chrome rings made for the 18” and the 10”. If anyone knows a vendor please share.

FCFB9506-1CAB-485D-A868-2697337BEDBA.jpeg

C8CF20E5-444C-4CDC-8527-B30256103BDE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi Coasttocoast
Lovely view to the see you have

i have also tried to swap the speaker so horn is inside,,but i prefer the little wider sound where the horn is outside,,
i also like, that the speaker sound very good with low power

i have make a little update to my gear,,,my 4P1L tube pre is playing along with my Mirand upgraded 4493 dac,,, this 4P1L give something to the sound that really sound well with the speaker,,i really love those speaker
Best Bjarne

How is the midrange?

Hi

My question is how is the midrange in this speaker?

Currently I run a pair of open baffle speakers with 2 12" Wavecor woofers , a Scan Speak 18w Discovery mid and a Heil AMT1.

I own a pair of BMS 18N862 and I plan to upgrade my open baffle speakers with a good 10" or 8 " midrange. And maybe swap out the Wavecor 12s with the BMS.

How much sound does the !8sound radiate to the rear. Is the magnet and the chassis obstructing the rear sound a lot?

Best regards

Uwe

South of Denmark

Hi Coasttocoast
Lovely view to the see you have

i have also tried to swap the speaker so horn is inside,,but i prefer the little wider sound where the horn is outside,,
i also like, that the speaker sound very good with low power

i have make a little update to my gear,,,my 4P1L tube pre is playing along with my Mirand upgraded 4493 dac,,, this 4P1L give something to the sound that really sound well with the speaker,,i really love those speaker
Best Bjarne

Thanks for your reply!

I’m not familiar with your DAC is it from Mirand Audio?

The centerline of the tweeters/midrange is about 7’ apart, I don’t feel like I compromised on the width of the soundstage.

One of my friends here in Hawaii has a pretty high end system. Mark Levinson #53 mono amps, #52 pre amp, #39 CD player and Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers. Very Nice system. He had all Transparent Reference level power distribution and power cables, but mid level interconnects and speaker cables. I went over last week and helped him swap those over to Transparent Reference cables factory tuned for his equipment.

Then I went home to listen to the same tracks to hear the difference in my system. I felt I was missing some of the high frequency detail. His system also sounds more “HiFi” if that makes sense.

I have built and rebuilt my amps, one item that I hadn’t gotten around to was adding some bypass caps on the power supply. The results after the add was not subtle. Closed the gap by maybe 50%.

Had my friend over to review my system, first time with these speakers. Without any comments from me to color his opinion he has similar opinions. Unbeatable bass and impressive midrange, huge soundstage, but missing in the high. His comments are that vocals seem far back and missing “air”. Neither one of us knows the right words to describe. We both agree that these speakers do things his cannot. He says I’m 99% there, pretty good compliment.

Of course there are many variables in my system that could be holding me back, and we are somewhat comparing a $150k system to mine that is mostly self built. My whole investment doesn’t match the cost of just his speaker cables!

I installed an L-pad for the compression driver, as per Troels instructions. Ordered a couple more Path Audio resistors to try without the L-pad to see if that changes anything.

Last edited:
What a system your friend have,,,hard to beat...

i understand the term (more hifi sound from his system) it is all about the speaker,,

hifi unit vs pa unit,,,,they sound different,,,i have owned a audio technology system

Same unit as in the Peak Consult Emporor (i change later the tweeter to Scanspeak Berylium) the sound from this system was more hifi,,,,but not with the same feeling of being there,,as with the Loudspeaker,,,

about the vocals ,,,,do you mean voice specially in upper frequency ?

i have a record with Diana Krall,,,her voice is not far back i can hear here small thing from her lips

about missing air....(i have heard this before here by me,,,some will have all detail in the music ,like from a silver cable) i prefer a little darkness in the upper area

please give me some music sample where you miss something...

and tell me if it is the horn where you missing air

i do not think we can beat your friends really high end system,,,super amp and cable

i have also tried the L-pad but i like the ordinary resistor best..

i also use passive filter for the 18"

look forward to hear more from you...about the issue in the high area (if i can hear the same here i can talk to Troels and tell him what we hear -maybe he can come with some answer)

yes my Dac is from Mirand Audio

Best Bjarne (if only i was better to write in english)

What a system your friend have,,,hard to beat...

i understand the term (more hifi sound from his system) it is all about the speaker,,

hifi unit vs pa unit,,,,they sound different,,,i have owned a audio technology system

Same unit as in the Peak Consult Emporor (i change later the tweeter to Scanspeak Berylium) the sound from this system was more hifi,,,,but not with the same feeling of being there,,as with the Loudspeaker,,,

about the vocals ,,,,do you mean voice specially in upper frequency ?

i have a record with Diana Krall,,,her voice is not far back i can hear here small thing from her lips

about missing air....(i have heard this before here by me,,,some will have all detail in the music ,like from a silver cable) i prefer a little darkness in the upper area

please give me some music sample where you miss something...

and tell me if it is the horn where you missing air

i do not think we can beat your friends really high end system,,,super amp and cable

i have also tried the L-pad but i like the ordinary resistor best..

i also use passive filter for the 18"

look forward to hear more from you...about the issue in the high area (if i can hear the same here i can talk to Troels and tell him what we hear -maybe he can come with some answer)

yes my Dac is from Mirand Audio

Best Bjarne (if only i was better to write in english)

English very good, no apologies.

I should have some time this weekend to critically listen and make notes. I will try and pick some known music and make comments.

Will be good for me to do this, then after I swap out the L-pad I will be fresh with notes.

I’m pretty happy now. Can sit and listen for a couple hours and enjoy the music and not even think about the equipment. Time, patience, research and some tweaking and I’ll be very close to getting the last couple percent.

Thanks for following along on my journey.

The Path Audio resistors I ordered to eliminate the L-pad attenuator arrived this past week.

Today I spent a little time to rewire the crossovers. After the first speaker was done I listened to a few tracks to see if I could hear a difference.

Over the last few months I spent a bit of time adjusting the attenuator and settled on a place about 3/4 of the way around. I could hear the difference even moving the dial as little as 5%.

Surprisingly the swap resulted in the sound being the same as where I had set the attenuator. The difference was clarity. After an hour or so of listening to familiar tracks I swear I can here new information. Subtle, maybe a little more of the decay of a cymbal, a little more vibrato heard from a women’s voice.

So the attenuator is out for good. I’m getting as close to perfection in my system as I can get. I know more is there, it’s just going to take a lot more reading and learning to figure out next tweaks.

D7A78F64-8AB9-4B27-AE75-2ABB0749E21C.jpeg

Hi
A little update on my speaker

i have changes the Fostex tweeter to a Beyma TPL200 crossover 4,5khz

for me it is great ,,gives a nice tweeter sound,,more air

took some time to get the filter right,,,

several people have heard the speaker,,,and they really like it The Loudspeaker is something really special,,,best speaker i have owned

how goes it by you Coasttocoast ?

Best Bjarne

Hi
A little update on my speaker

i have changes the Fostex tweeter to a Beyma TPL200 crossover 4,5khz

for me it is great ,,gives a nice tweeter sound,,more air

took some time to get the filter right,,,

several people have heard the speaker,,,and they really like it The Loudspeaker is something really special,,,best speaker i have owned

how goes it by you Coasttocoast ?

Best Bjarne
Great to hear from you and your journey!

Can you share a pic of how you incorporated?

As you remember this is the area I feel is missing in my system. Although too strong of a statement, I listen everyday and am happy. I haven’t even thought about building another speaker, and I’m always building something.

How did you work out the crossover? And input/comments from Troels?

i give you a PM to talk about picture

i measure the unit and then make a 18db filter 4,5khz ,,with a notch filter , and i have

change the coil in the horn filter,, so together they now give a fine measure,,,very close to original

just a little more level in the tweeter area,,,,this is the best sound to me

it was easy to compare the original, to the new one ,,having filter on front the speaker

have my wife to point out the version she like ,,,and chose the new version

(remember ,it is not a night and day ,difference ) it is from start a great speaker

this is the special Beyma i use.....

BEYMA TPL-200/HR, HIGH-REVOLUTION! DIPOLE SPECIAL BLACK VERSION -A.M.T. TWEETERS | eBay

The Loudspeaker 2
Copyright 2020 © Troels Gravesen

"my Goodness, this midrange and treble is smooth. The dynamics are phenomenal, even at very low level you can hear something extraordinary is going on. This is not the most expensive speaker I've made, but certainly the very, very best, even by a comfortable margin." Troels Gravesen

Troels has updated this design with a v2: The-Loudspeaker-2

Still not convinced that about the tweeter + supertweeter part of the design. Need to do some digging to understand why Troels chose to go in that direction (and kept in in v2).

Thanks for posting about the updated version!

I’m still loving mine, and listen everyday.

But liking the new super tweeters Troels has added. I might try out the Visaton TL16H and update the crossover with the higher end caps.

The Loudspeaker 2
Copyright 2020 © Troels Gravesen

"my Goodness, this midrange and treble is smooth. The dynamics are phenomenal, even at very low level you can hear something extraordinary is going on. This is not the most expensive speaker I've made, but certainly the very, very best, even by a comfortable margin." Troels Gravesen

Thanks for posing Troels comments.

He also said, in reference to the narrower width to be able to fit in storage,

“I need to have these speaker permanently and roll them in from time to time. I just can't live without'em.“

I think a pretty good review from him after all the great designs he has produced.