Big Speaker Project, 18” + 10” + CD/horn, super tweeter

i have only tried the hypex with DSP

i have tried a 200w holton amp on the speaker,,,absolute no problem

so i think 100w will drive the speaker very good (remember troels use 60w tube on the top )
only thing to take care of with the amp,,must drive 3 ohm (3ohm impedance about 120hz with passive filter)
i must say ,it is my opinion about hypex or not,,other will maybe say the opposite ,,we all listen different

Thanks for replying.

My apologies for not being very clear on my questions.

Since you have a 500wpc amp you have the ability to run all drivers, through the crossovers, at one time. Since I only have 100wpc amps I am good for the mid/highs and relying on the Hypex for the 18”.

In Troels Fusion 3 he uses a 2 channel Hypex. One channel for the woofer running without a passive crossover, and one channel for the mid/high through a passive crossover.

I was wondering if maybe an advantage/option to run the Hypex to the 18” through the passive crossover?

I understand that you haven’t tried it, but I wonder what it might sound like?

no ,you was clear with the question ,,i believe that if the amp is stabil in lower ohm then 100w is enough to drive the speaker...just wait and try

you must try both way with the hypex....then you can use what is best with you..but give the speaker some time to burn in

Thanks, I plan on trying both ways.

How much time for burn in does this speaker take?

about 100 hours burn in...plays more clear then..some one do not mean it is necessary--
but i think it is

Thanks for the info, hope they are “listenable” in just a few hours?

Going through the wet sand phase now. About 7 hours for the first one, twin tomorrow. First one turned out perfect, no sand through and no defects. A light touch with 800 grit to knock down any dust, then down to about 95% flat with 1000 grit, then to 100% flat with 2000 grit to get final 5% and 1000 grit sand marks.

They look real ugly at this phase.

But nice to have them home and working on them on the back porch and listening to music while I toil away is less sucky.

Polishing up next

C0FEC60A-F423-4DD5-8DD9-4E65CF91CBA9.jpeg

362B61AA-3145-41B8-AA9B-09A3077A49F7.jpeg

After 2 days of wet sanding, and then 2 days to polish, I’m finally able to start assembly.

It was late, but took a quick couple pics of what the crossovers look like in their new home and the back panels I designed and had made.

I hope to be able to spend the day on them tomorrow and maybe fire them up!

BDFCD81C-35A3-43B1-A683-9416AAE1B37E.jpeg

F0241ED8-5A82-45E4-BCC9-61F51296733D.jpeg

They are playing!

Currently I’m 90% there. The main cabinet, drivers, finishing, crossover, and plate amps are basically complete and playing.

I have yet to install the casters and related skirt, order trim rings for the mid and bass drivers, complete the assembly of the super tweeter and related.

Sounds pretty good out of the box, so to speak. Since there is a 100 hour break in needed I’m not even trying to listen critically yet, plus no super tweeters running yet anyway.

So a little assembly details.

In handling the horns I noticed that they ring like a bell when banged with any metal. And even though I don’t imagine that any metal will ever touch them after they are installed it made me wonder if other forces could entice the horn to ring. So to be on the safe side I did a little experiment. I filled one of the open rib areas with polyurethane. After letting the polyurethane set up overnight I tested to see if I could hear any difference. You be the judge. YouTube

A1F52DDE-627D-49EC-BF4C-7F398A0B0743.jpeg

Between the horn, mid and woofer there are 20 mounting screws required. I didn’t want to just use wood screws. Threaded inserts are the least intrusive to install, but I had had a bad experience the last time I tried to use them. After a little googling I learned I had installed them the wrong way. You would think that the slot on one end is for a screwdriver to screw them in. Could be, but not a very easy way.

Easy way is get a screw a little longer than the insert and run a nut almost all the way on before you spin on the insert, with the slotted side away from the screw head. Then tighten the nut against the insert.

C7601FF4-2E7E-4C3D-80C9-A2285E5C192C.jpeg

With pressure and a screw gun, screw in the insert until the nut bottoms out. Then, still holding the screw gun tight against the screw, use a wrench and loosen the nut away from the insert, then back out the screw.

D2E0B9C7-E719-4656-A691-92A56F70C1A8.jpeg

Clean, easy, fast, no issues. The slotted part acts like a knife to cut the wood as it screws in.

B60FBC0F-5E34-46EF-8E57-077417177C17.jpeg

Couple of assembly pics. I covered the inside of the entire enclosure with recycled denim insulation. In addition, I added a couple layers of Acoustilux to the top of the cabinet and filled a couple inches in the bottom with loose fill Acoustilux. The mid cabinet has the one layer of denim insulation and is almost filled the rest of the way with Lambs Wool. (Forgot to take pic)

4F1E3902-FD47-49DA-A6B1-E91920EBEEF4.jpeg

6A245339-3AE5-44E7-B9D9-1823CB7CC7B2.jpeg

Did I mention these are BIG!!, my wife is giving me this look like “I hope he hates them and builds something else”. For reference that’s a 65” TV.

3B1BCC30-AE1D-477B-A2C0-7DA19D7F7F3B.jpg

They look so beautiful yours speaker,,,,respect

yes you right ,the horn rings like a church bell,,,,i have also think to damping the horn

just give the wife time to settle in...my wife mean also they look awfully...but she like the sound from it (yesssss) it helps

you right they play fine at once...but specially the mid and bass is better when they run many hours
will be nice to hear more about the sound

Best Bjarne

Going through the wet sand phase now. About 7 hours for the first one, twin tomorrow. First one turned out perfect, no sand through and no defects. A light touch with 800 grit to knock down any dust, then down to about 95% flat with 1000 grit, then to 100% flat with 2000 grit to get final 5% and 1000 grit sand marks.

Polishing up next

Thanks for sharing your speaker build journey, and
Thanks for reminding me why I use matte finish acrylic urethane on my Baltic Birch cabinets. I am lazy. :snail:

Ringing stops when you mount them to enclosure.

Thanks much for commenting!

I know smarter people than me could debate this for hours, I kinda tested the difference in ringing before and after mounting the compression driver, no real change. With the compression driver attached and the horn face face down on a wood cabinet the ringing was almost not there. So I agree that once bolted to the front baffle the ringing probably isn’t a major issue.

But the fact that it does ring, and adding the polyurethane does dampen the horn without being mounted, just adds insurance if nothing else.

Thanks for sharing your speaker build journey, and
Thanks for reminding me why I use matte finish acrylic urethane on my Baltic Birch cabinets. I am lazy. :snail:

Funny. Thanks for posting and I hope I didn’t bore everyone with the details.

I think I like to torture myself! But I knew this would be a last speaker project, at least for a few years. Or until I forget how much work this takes.

Today I worked on the super tweeter assembly.

I had purchased a few pairs of mini banana plugs and receptacles. After painting and polishing I installed the receptacles.

51D91C26-54F2-45E2-A40F-0ED649BBD775.jpeg

The wire from the crossover to the super tweeter is 23 gauge solid silver, Teflon taped, wire. Standard size banana plugs connect to the driver.

B47EC423-5404-4015-934D-2EF00E0EA8F7.jpeg

The benefits of this connection is no exposed wires, holds the assembly in correct orientation, and easily removable.

0343C103-9CE3-4E31-85F9-03EF8D5BC890.jpeg

2A6F660E-7A50-4E41-B6B6-F70C75D129F1.jpg

Tomorrow the casters/base platform.

Completed the last major item on the speakers, the platform.

Due to the size, I wanted the platform to roll, and needed to be about 4” tall to get the 18” driver the correct height off of the floor.

So this morning I ripped up some Baltic Birch and built the frame. I used the same 1 1/2” router bit to round over the two front corners to match the cabinets. Installed some inserts for the wheels to screw into. And then wrapped with brushed Stainless Steel. Hard to see in the pics, but the wheels are about 1/4” below the base and so the cabinets can roll.

10C8FC7C-EB8E-419E-958A-40D5636301BB.jpg

3BE3A05E-E30A-419F-826D-8306C16E699F.jpg

69979DF5-B447-499C-9285-AB34E31CC1B0.jpeg

I’m trying not to critically listen to the speakers yet, only have about 10 hours so far.

But I have been “exercising” them a little. My son and I played some Rap type music with heavy bass. Hitting over 100 dB, you can really feel it in your chest!

Soundstage is really wide, and even at really low volume the energy and dynamics of the music is still there.