Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2019, 02:53 PM   #61
beardman is offline beardman  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi
picture of my speaker at Troels G home page
Old 27th January 2019, 03:15 PM   #62
Coasttocoast is offline Coasttocoast  United States
diyAudio Member

Fantastic! Love the wood and paint combination. I like your speaker review and comments you posted on TG’s site, it’s what I’m hoping to hear out of mine.

Hope you don’t mind me sharing a picture here for reference.

B6B1E3CA-9B18-4ABF-B54F-9C9CA8CE56BB.jpeg
Babelfish J as Aleph 2, McIntosh C2300, RAKK DAC Mark IV Extreme, Oppo UDP-203 DVD/CD, Custom SP10 MKII/SME 312s/Koetsu Urushi Black, Magna Mano streamer, Tidal through Roon, Nui Horn Speaker’s (Big Speaker) w/Hypex Fusion 501’s, Transparent Ultra cables.
Old 27th January 2019, 04:17 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

just fine with the picture

it is 30mm massive wood ..front 30mm MDF
yes i really like this speaker,,,fill my room with music

maybe i will mount leather look alike in grey on the front,,,
Old 28th January 2019, 02:52 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Thanks for posting.

A question, have you listened to your speakers with and without the super tweeter connected? How much difference can you hear? Curious.
Babelfish J as Aleph 2, McIntosh C2300, RAKK DAC Mark IV Extreme, Oppo UDP-203 DVD/CD, Custom SP10 MKII/SME 312s/Koetsu Urushi Black, Magna Mano streamer, Tidal through Roon, Nui Horn Speaker’s (Big Speaker) w/Hypex Fusion 501’s, Transparent Ultra cables.
Old 28th January 2019, 03:37 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Spending some of my spare time here and there putting the crossovers together. Out of respect to TG I have tried to color out the component values. In case you can’t read the name on the resistors they are Path out of Poland. Component layout works pretty good. Almost everything daisy chains together without adding extra wiring. Everything is mounted to the board with hot glue and silicone, heavy items I also added zip-ties.

As I’m closing in on cabinet design and in ordering custom panels for binding posts and locating the attenuator for the compression driver I had to make some decisions.

The way I’m designing and ordering the rear custom panels will allow for changes in the future by just changing panels. But for the build now I will have one set of binding posts for the mid, tweeter and super tweeter along with the designed crossover with an attenuator and the Fusion 500w plate amp for the bass, no crossover.

I believe the pocket I’m building into the cabinet for the plate amp and crossover components will be large enough to accommodate changes in the future without having to modify the actual cabinetry.

42044F9A-0C66-4813-A009-47F6E387455D.jpeg55E5A692-DCED-40C8-B49E-4C75813D923C.jpeg
Old 28th January 2019, 06:50 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

I can hear the super tweeter,,,and it is needed,,,the big horn goes not so high,,mostly because of the crossover ( younger people who have heard the speaker have easy to hear the super tweeter)

you make the crossover same way as mine,,,and mine is mounted in a little box just like Troels

Hmmm i have read about the Resistor you use,,,and will really like to try them..(money)

As you know i use crossover for the 18" ,,and one amp .....i have tried the hypex also,,but for now i prefer one amp
Old 30th January 2019, 03:44 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardman View Post
I can hear the super tweeter,,,and it is needed,,,the big horn goes not so high,,mostly because of the crossover ( younger people who have heard the speaker have easy to hear the super tweeter)

you make the crossover same way as mine,,,and mine is mounted in a little box just like Troels

Hmmm i have read about the Resistor you use,,,and will really like to try them..(money)

As you know i use crossover for the 18" ,,and one amp .....i have tried the hypex also,,but for now i prefer one amp
Good to know that the super tweeter is really needed, makes the amount of time to integrate worthwhile.

I’ve used Path Audio resistors a couple of times, I think with positive results.

Good to know about the Hypex, if I don’t like it I have the crossover components to switch over.
Old 30th January 2019, 03:51 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

Getting closer. On the 3rd try on the front panel. I think one more try before running for real. Need another 1/16” deeper recess for the flange on the 10” & 18”, I goofed on the dimension between the ports, need to move apart by 3/4”.

F2B8C740-C155-45E1-BAD1-16C56D6CB03B.jpeg

Here is a quick video of the CNC at work. Just a little over a minute to do its work.

YouTube
Old 3rd February 2019, 02:24 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Had a good day at the shop, doesn’t seem like a lot of acomplishment for 9 hours. Shop tech CNC’d the front panels yesterday so I could proceed today.

C42A3673-81E4-477B-A212-2297DE2D3C55.jpeg

Spread plenty of glue

B070E575-C18A-41E0-A5D8-AF12002C8C3A.jpeg

Needed a little help in keeping straight, hired this lovely clamp

BDAAA604-D209-4BA0-A8B0-DA410039B0B6.jpeg

A quick sand and I sprayed clear lacquer on the Maple frame. Better to make sure humidity doesn’t get to the wood.

29303163-C0D1-4FCC-838E-00C4A3E1E162.jpeg

The Maple ply was direct glued to the front panel, the rest of the Maple ply will be attached using a 1/8” layer of polyurethane for dampening. Since the Maple ply is prefinished I hit it with 100 grit to give the glue something to grab to.

99E8C14B-B366-4F91-9731-D6B9DF230C6D.jpeg

First panel with the polyurethane troweled on and ready to place

07B724AE-A070-4E87-B5CC-5CDE98F46400.jpeg

So finished attaching the top’s, bottoms, and fronts today. The screws in the Maple ply will be removed after the polyurethane sets. You can see I have small gaps everywhere, this is intentional. Once all the interior Maple ply is placed I will used the same polyurethane to caulk all the gaps. This will keep the entire internal Maple “box” floating within the outer Medex shell.

Did I mention these speakers are huge!

6B86E335-57EC-4AE4-889D-0ABC12DE86A0.jpeg

Last edited by Coasttocoast; 3rd February 2019 at 02:29 AM.
Old 3rd February 2019, 08:06 AM   #70
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

I am excited to see how you install internal braces and subenclosúre for the mid!
The-Loudspeaker

Last edited by Juhazi; 3rd February 2019 at 08:09 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!