Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2018, 02:59 PM   #11
Coasttocoast is offline Coasttocoast  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for your comments and recommendations!

I left a trail of breadcrumbs in my postings, my Ekta’s are a Troels design, drivers match “The Loudspeaker”, all Troels designs use crossover components from Jantzen, which I posted I had ordered from, cabinet size is mm to inch converted similar, and the crossover points posted exactly match “The Loudspeaker”

Cabinet construction will be starting next week, but will take a bit of time with holidays, travel, ets
Babelfish J as Aleph 2, McIntosh C2300, RAKK DAC Mark IV Extreme, Oppo UDP-203 DVD/CD, Custom SP10 MKII/SME 312s/Koetsu Urushi Black, Magna Mano streamer, Ekta Grande speakers, DIY 13" ScanSpeak sub's w/Hypex Fusion 501’s, Transparent Ultra cables.
Old 8th December 2018, 03:04 PM   #12
Coasttocoast is offline Coasttocoast  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardman View Post
If you do not know...i have build The Loudspeaker

and very happy with them
Glad to hear! Can you share any pics or other comments? Only one other builder I know of yet since kinda new design.
Babelfish J as Aleph 2, McIntosh C2300, RAKK DAC Mark IV Extreme, Oppo UDP-203 DVD/CD, Custom SP10 MKII/SME 312s/Koetsu Urushi Black, Magna Mano streamer, Ekta Grande speakers, DIY 13" ScanSpeak sub's w/Hypex Fusion 501’s, Transparent Ultra cables.
Old 8th December 2018, 04:41 PM   #13
Charles Darwin is online now Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm not quite seeing the point of the supertweeter, especially if driven by a Hypex Fusion 502 with dsp. Seems superfluous to me.
Old 8th December 2018, 06:01 PM   #14
beardman is offline beardman  Denmark
diyAudio Member

It will be a great speaker you will get .... coast to coast---

i have some picture ,,,but it will be the same as on Troels G homepage

i will hope before Christmas i will post on Troels page...tell a little about the sound ,,and show a picture i have not learn to post picture hear on diy audio...

about the sound...it is in many way the best speaker i have build...specially i like the voices ,,sound lifelike you can easily hear the word,,with all the dynamic ,,acoustic guitar sound so clear ,,i have not heard this with ordinary dome tweeter.. and the sound from the 18" bass...it plays so easy and controlled ,,and with big sound. and -- they can play loud ..without any problem... i hear the most Music dvd...and there the speaker really shine...

eks,,a dvd with Godsmack -where the play live acoustic----it sound so live and clear.newer heard it better...i feel i am to concert..

Darwin---Troels use only Hypex for the 18"...he use Tube amp for the top--so the supertweeter make sence...give the last top om the sound from 9khz

i use my Gryphon Encore amp for the hole speaker...so i have 500w to play with

Best bjarne
Old 8th December 2018, 06:02 PM   #15
koja is offline koja  Canada
diyAudio Member

I must say that "the loudspeaker" makes for an interesting read but given the choices of drivers and the available knowledge today that approach is not practical at all. For one thing there is no need for an 85kg+ box when the bass unit can be made separate and the MH unit can be stacked up on top.

Moreover if a biamped approach is taken a smaller driver can be used for bass duty. I have 12inch 2,000W rms rated drivers in backloaded horn bass bins (design off Beyma website) which can be used on a live stage let alone at home at some 0.x% utilization. I also have 15 inchers on a 25inch wide OB which hardly move when playing string bass at live levels.

btw I also have in boxes the 18sound horns which Troels used, but if I do anything with those and CDs some day it will be for PA duty.

the only useful reference I find in this project is another confirmation that midbass is best performed by an 8-10 inch driver. However, as soon as he decided to introduce that driver calling for padding CD and a boxed 18incher to end up at 95dB sensitivity kind of killed the concept.

To sum it up, the point is not to make "a big" speaker but to make a speaker just big enough "to sound big" in a given space (without causing booming of the room resonances).

p.s. you may also consider refraining from the practice of "leaving breadcrumbs" and acknowledge the speaker designer from a get go.

Have fun building. I hope you will be happy with the result.
Old 8th December 2018, 06:13 PM   #16
beardman is offline beardman  Denmark
diyAudio Member

koja
it is right one can make a speaker of different size and shape...but from my point it is hard to get the speaker sound as one unit..crossover is very important...different size,,different crossover...but of coarse it is not impossible to make new crossover..

the Loudspeaker does not sound like PA speaker..

best bjarne
Old 8th December 2018, 06:17 PM   #17
Charles Darwin is online now Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardman View Post
Darwin---Troels use only Hypex for the 18"...he use Tube amp for the top--so the supertweeter make sence...give the last top om the sound from 9khz

Best bjarne
Yeah but the OP is going to use 502s.
The 18Sound compression driver easily does 20kHz with the right horn-appropriate eq so I can't see the supertweeter adding much beyond another source of comb filtering.
The bottom end of that particular driver appears more of a problem since it is only recommended above 1.6k rather than the intended 1.3k but with a steep filter that shouldn't be much of a problem if used domestically.
Old 8th December 2018, 06:55 PM   #18
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you also consider using 3-way DSP with 1-amp per speaker, plus a passive Xover on the super tweeter? There are a bunch of parts in series to the magic midrange which go away. It has become popular to have one 3-4 way ( DSP + amps) and just move it around to multiple speaker boxes.

Bryston is one amp company looking forward with their Active Speakers. Cabinets with only drivers in the box, connected to a Bryston multichannel amp with DSP.

"A plate amp is forever."
Old 8th December 2018, 06:56 PM   #19
koja is offline koja  Canada
diyAudio Member

that horn should be used from 1.6kHz and up to get the constant directivity it was intended for.

If I was to just build something big then a modded Visaton monitor with some constant directivity design measures like this would have been a choice:
YouTube

However, I am pretty sure that after listening to my OBs everyone would say that the difference in sound did not justify the difference in size and weight (at least not in my listening space).

People should carefully read Troels's posts to distinguish when he is really sharing some personal insight (like on his page on high sensitivity speakers and OB), as opposed to just experimenting for the sake of using 18sound and Jantzen parts, (he already had the relationship with the latter and now apparently was introduced to the former as well, thus "the loudspeaker" project).
Old 8th December 2018, 07:06 PM   #20
The Space Egg Corp is offline The Space Egg Corp  England
diyAudio Member

Hi Koja.

To post photos here ...

... click on Post Reply under the last Posters message ...

... then when you get to the 'main' reply window ...

... under that is another button called 'Manage Attachments' ...

... click on that & 'Browse' your computer buttons come up, where you can choose & upload your pix.

When pix are chosen, hit the upload button & pix will be visible as attachment links under the Post Reply window.

Then just hit the Post button to send your message & photos.

Hope that helps.

Si.

t.S.E.c

The super-tweeter does seem to X-over way too low & is a bit superfluous really ...

... probably better to keep that 'delicate' 9K area free of smeary filtering.

Oh well, more is always better, right ?

Hide this!Advertise here!