Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2019, 06:07 PM   #101
Coasttocoast is offline Coasttocoast  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardman View Post
i have only tried the hypex with DSP

i have tried a 200w holton amp on the speaker,,,absolute no problem

so i think 100w will drive the speaker very good (remember troels use 60w tube on the top )
only thing to take care of with the amp,,must drive 3 ohm (3ohm impedance about 120hz with passive filter)
i must say ,it is my opinion about hypex or not,,other will maybe say the opposite ,,we all listen different
Thanks for replying.

My apologies for not being very clear on my questions.

Since you have a 500wpc amp you have the ability to run all drivers, through the crossovers, at one time. Since I only have 100wpc amps I am good for the mid/highs and relying on the Hypex for the 18Ē.

In Troels Fusion 3 he uses a 2 channel Hypex. One channel for the woofer running without a passive crossover, and one channel for the mid/high through a passive crossover.

I was wondering if maybe an advantage/option to run the Hypex to the 18Ē through the passive crossover?

I understand that you havenít tried it, but I wonder what it might sound like?
Babelfish J as Aleph 2, McIntosh C2300, RAKK DAC Mark IV Extreme, Oppo UDP-203 DVD/CD, Custom SP10 MKII/SME 312s/Koetsu Urushi Black, Magna Mano streamer, Tidal through Roon, Nui Horn Speakerís (Big Speaker) w/Hypex Fusion 501ís, Transparent Ultra cables.
Old 3rd March 2019, 07:06 PM   #102
beardman is offline beardman  Denmark
diyAudio Member

no ,you was clear with the question ,,i believe that if the amp is stabil in lower ohm then 100w is enough to drive the speaker...just wait and try

you must try both way with the hypex....then you can use what is best with you..but give the speaker some time to burn in
Old 3rd March 2019, 07:39 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Quote:
no ,you was clear with the question ,,i believe that if the amp is stabil in lower ohm then 100w is enough to drive the speaker...just wait and try

you must try both way with the hypex....then you can use what is best with you..but give the speaker some time to burn in
Thanks, I plan on trying both ways.

How much time for burn in does this speaker take?
Babelfish J as Aleph 2, McIntosh C2300, RAKK DAC Mark IV Extreme, Oppo UDP-203 DVD/CD, Custom SP10 MKII/SME 312s/Koetsu Urushi Black, Magna Mano streamer, Tidal through Roon, Nui Horn Speakerís (Big Speaker) w/Hypex Fusion 501ís, Transparent Ultra cables.
Old 3rd March 2019, 08:22 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

about 100 hours burn in...plays more clear then..some one do not mean it is necessary--
but i think it is
Old 10th March 2019, 01:54 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
about 100 hours burn in...plays more clear then..some one do not mean it is necessary--
but i think it is
Thanks for the info, hope they are ďlistenableĒ in just a few hours?

Going through the wet sand phase now. About 7 hours for the first one, twin tomorrow. First one turned out perfect, no sand through and no defects. A light touch with 800 grit to knock down any dust, then down to about 95% flat with 1000 grit, then to 100% flat with 2000 grit to get final 5% and 1000 grit sand marks.

They look real ugly at this phase.

But nice to have them home and working on them on the back porch and listening to music while I toil away is less sucky.

Polishing up next

C0FEC60A-F423-4DD5-8DD9-4E65CF91CBA9.jpeg

362B61AA-3145-41B8-AA9B-09A3077A49F7.jpeg
Old 12th March 2019, 05:32 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

After 2 days of wet sanding, and then 2 days to polish, Iím finally able to start assembly.

It was late, but took a quick couple pics of what the crossovers look like in their new home and the back panels I designed and had made.

I hope to be able to spend the day on them tomorrow and maybe fire them up!

BDFCD81C-35A3-43B1-A683-9416AAE1B37E.jpeg

F0241ED8-5A82-45E4-BCC9-61F51296733D.jpeg
Old 15th March 2019, 08:35 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Default They are playing!

Currently Iím 90% there. The main cabinet, drivers, finishing, crossover, and plate amps are basically complete and playing.

I have yet to install the casters and related skirt, order trim rings for the mid and bass drivers, complete the assembly of the super tweeter and related.

Sounds pretty good out of the box, so to speak. Since there is a 100 hour break in needed Iím not even trying to listen critically yet, plus no super tweeters running yet anyway.

So a little assembly details.

In handling the horns I noticed that they ring like a bell when banged with any metal. And even though I donít imagine that any metal will ever touch them after they are installed it made me wonder if other forces could entice the horn to ring. So to be on the safe side I did a little experiment. I filled one of the open rib areas with polyurethane. After letting the polyurethane set up overnight I tested to see if I could hear any difference. You be the judge. YouTube

A1F52DDE-627D-49EC-BF4C-7F398A0B0743.jpeg

Between the horn, mid and woofer there are 20 mounting screws required. I didnít want to just use wood screws. Threaded inserts are the least intrusive to install, but I had had a bad experience the last time I tried to use them. After a little googling I learned I had installed them the wrong way. You would think that the slot on one end is for a screwdriver to screw them in. Could be, but not a very easy way.

Easy way is get a screw a little longer than the insert and run a nut almost all the way on before you spin on the insert, with the slotted side away from the screw head. Then tighten the nut against the insert.

C7601FF4-2E7E-4C3D-80C9-A2285E5C192C.jpeg

With pressure and a screw gun, screw in the insert until the nut bottoms out. Then, still holding the screw gun tight against the screw, use a wrench and loosen the nut away from the insert, then back out the screw.

D2E0B9C7-E719-4656-A691-92A56F70C1A8.jpeg

Clean, easy, fast, no issues. The slotted part acts like a knife to cut the wood as it screws in.

B60FBC0F-5E34-46EF-8E57-077417177C17.jpeg

Couple of assembly pics. I covered the inside of the entire enclosure with recycled denim insulation. In addition, I added a couple layers of Acoustilux to the top of the cabinet and filled a couple inches in the bottom with loose fill Acoustilux. The mid cabinet has the one layer of denim insulation and is almost filled the rest of the way with Lambs Wool. (Forgot to take pic)

4F1E3902-FD47-49DA-A6B1-E91920EBEEF4.jpeg

6A245339-3AE5-44E7-B9D9-1823CB7CC7B2.jpeg

Did I mention these are BIG!!, my wife is giving me this look like ďI hope he hates them and builds something elseĒ. For reference thatís a 65Ē TV.

3B1BCC30-AE1D-477B-A2C0-7DA19D7F7F3B.jpg
Old 15th March 2019, 09:23 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

They look so beautiful yours speaker,,,,respect

yes you right ,the horn rings like a church bell,,,,i have also think to damping the horn

just give the wife time to settle in...my wife mean also they look awfully...but she like the sound from it (yesssss) it helps

you right they play fine at once...but specially the mid and bass is better when they run many hours
will be nice to hear more about the sound

Best Bjarne
Old 15th March 2019, 09:41 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

What are you using for the 2 port...they look so good....my wife just comment,,,you must have have those
Old 15th March 2019, 04:33 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What are you using for the 2 port...they look so good....my wife just comment,,,you must have have those
Thanks for the compliments!

Parts Express: Speakers, Amplifiers, Audio Parts and Solutions

78959936-08D7-4464-B275-153DFBFDA538.jpeg

Hide this!Advertise here!