Seas CB17RCY (H404) and Sammi DT25B50 crossover advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Every time I see a crossover with him running two different drivers in series my head wants to explode. I see things that he does right by design choices but running a tweeter and woofer together makes me feel uneasy. I just look at his designs to get other ideas but I don't think this is necessary with good crossover design as you could be mixing signals and additional power through the tweeter.

The tweeter I am using will probably not sound too good crossed over at 2k anyway. If I am lucky Santa will bring me a package with Dayton Audio's DATS V2 this year.... so then i can verify my impedance mesaurements on the drivers.

As far as how the speakers sound now, i like them better than with the original filter. Sounds detailed and quite "airy" but still has good extension in the bass. Will listen to them some more before doing any more changes.

Update

Final version. Do not think i will change it now. Not had so much listeing time yet but first impression is good. This sure is time consuming....

H404 Sammi 25BT final filter.jpg

Red is with tweeter reversed

H404 Sammi 25BT40 final simulation.jpg

H404 Sammi 25BT40 final crossover.jpg

Did not tune by ear, but by measuring. At very high levels some music sounds harsh, but i suspect it may be because the tweeter is not the best quality. I have tested other speakers that measuered a very flat frequency response but with higher quality tweeter, that did not sound harsh at max level. My main speakers (2 way with 6,5" seas excel and scanspeak D2905/9500) also measures quite flat, but never gets tiring even at very high levels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.