To those who have used the Peerless 830869 Woofer...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi mortron,
I have used it in a 2 way build that I completed last year. In my opinion, it is a fine bass driver that is now reasonably priced (esp. from Solen). If using in bottom of a 3 way, my choice would be to use (2) 830869's per side wired in parallel.:) Give them somewhere around 85-90 liters in a vented cab tuned to around 35 hz and you will have one nice bass section that will not break the bank.

Best Regards,
Rich

Hi mortron,
I have used it in a 2 way build that I completed last year. In my opinion, it is a fine bass driver that is now reasonably priced (esp. from Solen). If using in bottom of a 3 way, my choice would be to use (2) 830869's per side wired in parallel.:) Give them somewhere around 85-90 liters in a vented cab tuned to around 35 hz and you will have one nice bass section that will not break the bank.

Best Regards,
Rich

Four would be twice as good, no? :D

Thanks folks.

Michael - your Nightengale project was one that has me on the fence about this driver.

Based on some of what I've read, this driver is challenged some in a 2 way design. Would you say it's from trying to get it to cover a wider than satisfactory range? I saw once box size came down, you were happier.

Would anyone say that the 830869 lends itself to a bass or mid more than the other? Or is it one of those kind of drivers that you can use for both but should just pick one?

I want to use it for bottom of a 3way. Four per side maybe.

Hi mortron

I find the 830869 is best suited for bass duty in a 3-way.

It's not so much how low it can go but more the clarity of the bass notes.

Makes it ideal for music reproduction.

The 830869 is also excellent as a lower midrange in a 4-way.

For example, two 12" for bass (125Hz), 830869 for vocals (125Hz-1.2kHz), compression driver (1.2kHz-7kHz) and finally, super tweeter.

It is not that the 830869 sounds bad in a 2-way. It's all a question of expectations.

As for your 3-way, two 830869 with a Peerless 830870 and a Morel MDT29 would be perfect.

Hi Dave
Thanks for sharing your build. Your speaker is fantastic.

I like the sound quality, but not the specs of this range of drivers. They tend to:

- Have limited bass extension
- Have limited power

but, are very smooth and easy to work with in a passive crossover.

You can usually find something better from Dayton or FaitalPRO in terms of power and extension in the 5" to 6" range.

For these reasons, I find them best as mids than mid woofers, but as pure mids they can function spectacularly. As mids, they are very transparent, smooth and dynamic and lively. Since you limit the power, they can handle quite a bit of dynamic range. Highly recommended as part of a MTM or line array.

Last edited:
Thanks Erik,

I like your explanation on them. I do see that the 830869 has less Xmax than say Dayton RS225, but in my situation, that driver is twice the price. My concern about power and excursion may not be as critical, as I am considering four per side.

Mids I was considering an MTM using Peerless 830991 as they've been used by others who had good things to say, and they seem to look good on paper.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.